FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 won't launch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Roberts
FCP 7 won't launch
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:43:39 pm

Hello! I am having some major problems with Final Cut Pro (on two different machines!). I recently upgraded to FCP 7 and cannot seem to launch FCP unless I launch it right when my computer boots up (so it'll launch if it's the first application to be clicked on). I've trashed all the preferences, I've reinstalled several times, I've done a disk repair and I've added a new user login and nothing seems to do the trick. If anyone has any suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
Re: FCP 7 won't launch
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:52:37 pm

[John Roberts] " I recently upgraded to FCP 7"

Let me guess, you just installed the new on-top of the old. As you have discovered this can be problematic. The best way to do upgrade is to clone your system drive then wipe it and install a clean OS then install your Apps clean.

At the vary least you should completely remove FCS then install the new version.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:57:47 pm

Yes you're right - when I installed the update I did it on top of the older version of FCP. I have since uninstalled everything (I used the FCS Remover) and then re-installed but to no avail...

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:59:28 pm

create a new admin user to see if it's a user library or system library issue.

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:02:19 pm

I've tried that as well and had the same issue. The computer needs a full restart in order to launch FCP but if I try and launch another software like Compressor or Soundtracks it just won't do it at all.

Return to posts index

Victor Perez
on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:09:48 pm

Just curious
What machine are you using?
MacBook
MacBook Pro
MacPro
Intel?

Victor
http://www.editvictor.com
http://www.hbhm.tv
http://www.itvisus.com

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 2, 2011 at 5:11:08 pm

Both machines are Mac Pros using 2 dual-core intel xeon processors and both have at least 6 gigs of ram on a startup drive of 1TB (with at least 500 gigs free).

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
on Feb 3, 2011 at 1:59:13 am

You likely need to perform a clean install. i.e. buy another drive to create a new boot disk, or backup your current one, erase it, and start over... clean clean clean...

Jerry

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 11, 2011 at 3:11:43 pm

Hey everyone - I wanted to let you know that after much messing around I found the problem... And it's very weird! It was an issue with the Spotlight indexing. When I disabled Spotlight in Terminal and by closing it out in the Activity Monitor all of my problems vanished and everything worked absolutely perfectly. I don't do much in Terminal but you can research how to disable Spotlight and stop the indexing in the background. Anyway, my computer runs much faster and all FCPS applications work better then ever (less bugs, less load time). Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know my solution.

John

Return to posts index

John Roberts
on Feb 11, 2011 at 4:01:06 pm

Also - there is a great software called Spotless that lets you disable Spotlight, my problems were solved once I did it through the software as well. Very weird issue...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]