FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using After Effects on FCP clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Clancy
Using After Effects on FCP clips
on Feb 2, 2011 at 1:31:37 am

Hey,

I'm working on a video in FCP 7 and I need to edit a few of the clips. How would I take a single shot that I have cut up in my sequence and work on it in AE?

Is there an easier way then exporting the clip from FCP? I'm afraid of downgrading the quality of the clip if I need to export it from FCP, render it out of AE, then re-import it into FCP where it will ultimately be exported again lol. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using After Effects on FCP clips
on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:20:09 am

If you export out of FCP a SELF CONTAINED QT file, it will be no different than the file in your project. Take that into After Effects and work on it...Render it from there, and thats where you get your layer of compression. But it really won't be noticeable. Especially if you are working with ProRes.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Clancy
on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:26:20 am

Thanks Shane!

Return to posts index

Jamie Pickell
on Feb 2, 2011 at 3:01:45 pm

You can use this free script from Popcorn Island
http://www.popcornisland.com/2009/03/final-cut-2-after-effects/

Take the shots you want to effect in AE, drop them in a new timeline, export the timeline as an XML file. Before opening AE, drop the popcorn island script in the scripts folder in your AE application folder. Open AE, under the file menu go to scripts, select the script from popcorn island, it will ask you for the XML file to open, select it and your FCP sequence will open in an AE timeline. The script allows AE to see the same media as FCP so you don't have to export quicktime files from FCP. Once you've effected your shots, then export a quicktime as you normally do out of AE. I usually put the AE quicktime on a layer above the shots I've cut in the FCP sequence just so I know what shots I used originally and if you need to create an annotated EDL.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Jamie

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]