FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rendering

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Burgoon
Rendering
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:27:45 am

Hey there, I'm working on FCP, and every time I move a clip, or adjust something in a sequence, the whole clip needs to be rendered. Is there a way to avoid this? Its taking me forever to edit.

v/r

Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Rendering
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:32:48 am

First off, make sure you are using an editable codec, not something like H.264 or MP4. Then...

#28 Having to render every clip in the timeline

Shane's Stock Answer #28: When I put a clip in the timline, I have to render it before it will play. Why?

Your clip settings MUST match your timeline settings. If you have DV/NTSC material, you need a DV/NTSC timeline. The frame rate, audio rate and dimensions (4:3, 16:9) all need to match exactly. In Final Cut Pro 6, this is easy, because when you drop a clip into the timeline, it asks if you want to set up the timeline to match the settings of the first clip you drag into it. Click YES and you are ready to go.

However, in FCP 5.1 and earlier, it is a bit trickier.

The most important thing you need to do is properly set up your project from the start, and the best way to do this is to choose a setting from the Easy Setups, located under the Final Cut Pro menu.

Once you do this, you’ll need to create a new sequence. This is because the sequence that is already in your new project is setup for the typical default setting of DV/NTSC, or for the settings of your last project, which might not match what you are currently working with. So delete SEQUENCE 1 and create a new sequence:

This new sequence will contain the settings you chose in the Easy Setup menu, and should match the format you captured.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:41:24 am

Awesome, thanks a bunch, I shall name my first born fter you. But one last question, what is the best codec to be using for FCP? As it turns out I'm using H.264, because the footage I'm working with I ripped from a dvd. Is there like a top ten or something?

v/r

Matt

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:44:30 am

Look in the EASY SETUPS in FCP. Those are the codecs FCP uses. But since this is from a DVD, you simply use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert it to DV/NTSC...NOT H.264.

Shane

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:28:31 pm

Nah,
DV is good in 25 fps world, where DV is 4:2:0 like Mpeg2 on DVD.
In NTSC, DV is 4:1:1, while the source is 4:2:0
So you end up with very, very poor color resolution.
Transcoding the DVD to a 4:2:2 codec would keep the quality as it is on DVD.
So, my advice is to use Prores or IMX (30 would be enough)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Feb 1, 2011 at 8:15:52 pm

Okay, I'm already too far into it to change the codec, but I'll remember it for next time. Something else I was wondering about was I'm ripping these DVD's, and the file sizes are 20 gigs on average, is there any way to make that smaller without hurting the quality of the image?

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:11:44 pm

DV is 13GB per hour. That's pretty darn small. I really wouldn't go less than that. If you are low on spac, get more drives.

Shane

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:32:51 pm

Besides disagreeing on DV for the job, Shane is way too nice.

1 terrabyte quality disk sets you back 90 USD or less.
So what are you complaining about?
Do you do this for a living or for a hobby?

(and yes, over here 1 terrabyte in protected shared raid is 20 times as expensive, but you don't hear me complaining...)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Matthew Burgoon
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:53:41 pm

Well I'm currently between jobs right now, so money is tight around the household. I'm still somewhat of a beginner to post production and am still trying to straighten out my workflow. I do have 3tbs worth of hard drives connected, but I was just curious if there was a way to save space.

V/R
Matthew Burgoon

"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:59:35 pm

ProRes is better, as is DV50...no arguement. DV is easier, especially for the hobbyist. And a lower data rate. Anything lower and you aren't working at full quality, but in an OFFLINE, or very low res, quality.

Shane

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]