FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best compression settings

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Wilson
Best compression settings
on Jan 31, 2011 at 11:35:02 pm

I am new to creative cow and apologise if I have posted this message in the wrong forum.

I am soon to embark on an editing project that will see me editing footage being supplied to me from different oversea's broadcast companies Some of the footage will be supplied as DVCam whilst other could be captured in various formats and uploaded to a server for me to download.

All the footage will be SD and need to be edited onto the same timeline.

Could anyone suggest whats the best compression settings I should recommend the clients use to compress the footage in order to upload? Should I ask them all to use pro res codec?

Many Thanks in advance

Andy

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
Re: Best compression settings
on Feb 1, 2011 at 12:02:11 am

ProRes 422 is a good tradeoff between size & quality. Depends though on the original format of the footage though and how much there is of it.

Peter

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:02:14 am

I'm hoping there will be no more than 60mins from each broadcaster and each final edit will be no more than 30mins.

The final output will them be exported for upload onto the server for them to use and also to DVCam. They will them broadcast this.

Would you suggest that the timeline be kept as DV Pal and for uploading to the server export it as Mpeg 2?

I was just worried about all this compression that the final product will be poor.

Any Thoughts much appreciated

Andy

Return to posts index

Peter Wiggins
on Feb 1, 2011 at 10:42:28 pm

DV is not a broadcast format, especially if youa re going to do any colour correction or graphics

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Feb 2, 2011 at 6:59:51 am

Hi Andrew Wilson, I\'m Andrew Wilson. Nice to meet you. Anyway... I\'ve been in this position before too and you probably can count on getting material in all sorts of formats since not everyone can export prores. I would ask for it but Animation is also a good lossless codec. A lot of broadcasters just love their mpeg2 and h.264 but those are lousy editing formats.

I would drop everything you get into compressor and convert it to prores422 and edit that in a prores422 timeline. Then export your QuickTime in their format of choice. You might then drop that master sequence into a dvcam sequence, render and lay off to tape.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:47:14 am

Hi Andrew.
Many thanks for the advice. I think this is the best way to go. I think the final output could well be on DVcam, Digibeta and an upload file so that they are able to download for broadcast. Would you recommend uploading the final output as an Mpeg2 file and if sondo
You have any recommended settings that you have found work well.

Many Thanks

Andy

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Feb 2, 2011 at 4:30:59 pm

Depends on the broadcaster. Every one I've sent to has different compression settings that they like to see. Most are bitrate variations of H.264 and MPEG2.

I usually find out who's going to get the digital copy and what their preferred encoding specs are like. Usually calling and asking for master control or the traffic department is a good start. Then I'll make a preset in compressor and save it with the station name or broadcaster.

For broad distribution I used to use DG-Fastchannel but I'm not sure they're around anymore because stations have set up their own dropboxes - a lot using YouSendIt.

You'll save yourself a lot of trial and error by just calling up the station or client and asking for final encoding specs.

Andrew Wilson
WestView Digital Video & Design
http://www.westviewdigital.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Wilson
on Feb 2, 2011 at 10:40:08 am

Hi Peter.
Sorry I meant to say DVCam Format

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved