Sharon Hughes
capturing HDV 24p
on Jan 30, 2011 at 1:27:14 am

I am trying to capture a 3-camera shoot that was shot as follows:

-Cams A & B shot on Z7u in 1080 24p
-Cam C shot on Canon HV30 and needs reverse telecine to conform to 1080 24p
-Deck = Canon HV20
-MacBook Pro OS10.6.6/FCP 7

Problem: FCP captures a few tapes with little trouble, then only gives "unable to locate timecode" error no matter where I set in point, tried several tapes, same problem.

FCP settings:
Capture Preset--HDV
Device Control - I set this to NDF after reading a post that sometimes FCP has trouble reading timecode if the camera that shot footage was set to "auto". This helped for 1 or 2 tapes, but then the unable to locate timecode error came back for good.

Was able to digitize using iMovie, but without timecode. As a last resort, I still have slates.

Now trying Avid Media Composer 5, thinking just FCP was having trouble finding timecode, but I get "capture aborted due to discontinuity in timecode".

Is it the camera I'm using as my deck? Should I rent an HDV deck? Which one? Any help would be most appreciated. And please note that I am an editor who has not digitized material in several years and was never a technical wizard to begin with.

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
Re: capturing HDV 24p
on Jan 30, 2011 at 4:06:08 am

I haven't dealt with a problem like this in a long, long time. If I recall correctly, the problem was always caused in camera. In other words something must have happened while shooting (i.e. turning the camera off, resetting time code, etc.), and there really is a discontinuity in the time code.

I don't really know how the time code works in HDV24p, but if there's an option in the capture to change the frame rate or capture 24pa then I would try it.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:45:10 am

Sharon,

Have you tried capturing HDV to ProRes on the fly? If not, check out the brief tutorial below. It's virtually all automated, capturing from camera start to camera stop, and because the transcode it performs is slower than realtime it sometimes cures HDV capture evils.

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Sharon Hughes
on Feb 1, 2011 at 2:24:23 am

Thanks for the input everyone.

Update: Capturing the whole tape worked well for me if FCP was able to find the in point, but more often it was unable to even do this.

The best thing so far has been capturing pro-res. Seems to be working so far and I'm getting timecode. I still have a bunch of tapes to go, so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestion, David.

Sharon

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:42:52 am

[Sharon Hughes] "The best thing so far has been capturing pro-res...

Thanks for the suggestion, David."

I thought that might work for you Sharon. It saved my bacon a few times...

Thanks for the feedback, it's always good to hear when things turn out well.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 30, 2011 at 10:52:53 pm

HDV tends to have very squirelly timecode due to the long gop pattern. Can you just capture the whole tape and go from there?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:10:40 am

[Jeff Greenberg] "Can you just capture the whole tape and go from there?"

Almost never Jeff. The issue is that every time you start and stop the camera HDV timecode is written in a non-continuous manner that just hasn't ever really worked well 100% of the time in FCP's rather antiquated Log and Capture module.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:15:39 am

Part of it David is FCP, most of it, is that HDV has lousy, long GOP frames (but I know you know this.) This is why I suggested capturing the whole tape.

With HDV, I just capture the whole tape via capture now and then treat it as file based material. I just don't trust HDV, even with good shooting practices (like 6+ sec preroll for shooting.)

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 31, 2011 at 4:24:22 am

[Jeff Greenberg] "With HDV, I just capture the whole tape via capture now and then treat it as file based material. "

I've never managed to capture a whole tape... Capture Now never worked that way for me with HDV as it worked with DV and other tape formats. This is one of the reasons I switched to capturing the technique of capturing to ProRes on the fly. Though it's not perfect, it just works better, at least for me it has.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]