FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID Suggestions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Goldstein
RAID Suggestions
on Jan 28, 2011 at 10:39:41 pm

Hey All,

Had my primary RAID fail today. Disk Warrior no fix. Now scraping with Data Recovery. Heartbreaking.

Moving on... I was using a LaCie Quadra 4TB RAID5, usually over FW800. The performance of that had been just fine for me. I usually do mid-market TV ads and Corporate videos. I now need to replace that RAID with a new one (or two to be better prepared). What's a good mid-level RAID for me these days?

Is RAID5 worth it vs RAID0 if I'm going to have a backup made every 24hrs?

Thanks for any suggestions.

-Sam

MacPro 2x2.66Mhz, 8GB Ram, AJA Kona LHi

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: RAID Suggestions
on Jan 28, 2011 at 11:50:36 pm

If Disk Warrior is to no avail, you're pretty much hosed. Data recovery is expensive and imperfect, with no guarantees that you'll get back what you really need. So, unless you absolutely have to try to recover something irreplaceable, I'd advise you to try to move on.

[Sam Goldstein] "What's a good mid-level RAID for me these days?"

A four or five drive RAID, such as SR4 or SR5 from Stardom might be a great product for you. Check them out below...

Jon Schilling from Stardom will get in touch with you if you want to know more... I told him about your needs. If you call him or give him your number he'll explain why RAID 6 is what he's recommending these days.

http://stardom-usa.com/sohoraid_sr4_feature.html

http://stardom-usa.com/sohoraid_sr5_feature.html

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 29, 2011 at 12:09:33 am

RAID 0 is certainly faster than RAID 5 but yes, even if you are backing up every 24 hours, I would still run RAID 5 or 6. With the price of storage today and the speeds, doesn't really make much sense to run RAID 0 any longer.

We run all Maxx Digital products here and they've been rock solid. We're up to something like 48TB of their storage now both in shared and local configurations.

Small Tree and Dulce also make outstanding products as well.

Can't go wrong with any of the three.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Sam Goldstein
on Jan 29, 2011 at 2:10:31 am

Thanks Guys.

Walter, If I went with say a CalDIgit HDelement 6TB, would a simple, non-RAID, single drive 6TB be a suitable backup? Or is there any return on investment to use a RAID for the backup?

Thanks, You guys rock!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2011 at 3:27:34 pm

Just curious as I always play devils advocate, but you had a raid5 lacie?

How did it die? Did two drives fail? Just curious as you seemed to already have a protected raid.

Return to posts index

Sam Goldstein
on Jan 29, 2011 at 4:35:23 pm

Jeremy,

The drive worked fine for years. I even repaired permissions a few times over those years. Then, for no obvious reason, I boot it up as I normally would and the Finder gives me a "This Disk you inserted is not readable by this computer. Ignore, Initialize or Eject?" But the Drive is visible (although unnamed) in the Disk Utility. All first-aid options are grayed out.

Same issue when attempting to mount to other computers. I buy Disk Warrior 4.2. It immediately opens with "Disk Not Readable." I download the demo of Data Rescue 3. A quick scan says "Disk Not Readable." A deep scan starts identifying files and building a list. It takes 3 minutes per GB. It's a 4TB RAID. Approx 40 hours to complete the list of what it thinks can be rescued and transferred. I'm hopeful that after it builds the list and I buy the license and a new drive, that most of the data will be recovered.

But I'm with you... WTF happened? I thought RAID5 was pretty much bullet proof.

-Sam

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2011 at 5:09:25 pm

Nothing is bullet proof, but, what exact model do you have? Does it have some sort of utility to manage it?

Return to posts index

Sam Goldstein
on Jan 29, 2011 at 8:06:51 pm

It's a 4-Drive 4TB LaCie Quadra (circa 2008). I've used many of these and it's predecessor, the Biggest F800 with never an issue that Disk Warrior couldn't fix. Once, I had to send out an enclosure that was seemingly performing OK, but beeping and giving me warnings. Nothing like that occurred this time.

It's my understanding that if Disk Warrior says it can't read the drive, it's done as a viable drive without re-initializing... which obviously erases all the data. Even then, It's now a known problem-drive and should not be trusted.

No LaCie Utilities other than the Update Tool, which has not updated the firmware for this model since Dec. 2007.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:04:15 pm

If a drive fails, how do you know?

I wouldn't give up quite yet.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 30, 2011 at 3:53:57 am

[Sam Goldstein] "would a simple, non-RAID, single drive 6TB be a suitable backup?"

There's no such thing yet as a single 6Tb hard drive.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]