FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Express no auto-conform sequence dialog for H.264 AVC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Williams
Final Cut Express no auto-conform sequence dialog for H.264 AVC
on Jan 28, 2011 at 2:37:13 am

Hello all, I am new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place to post this. I have seen many, many posts regarding import and editing of AVCHD and other "non-editable" formats from many different devices. I've also done some testing, as I expect many have, and I have come to a point where I have a question...with some background.
I understand to some degree (expect there is more to learn) that in FCP and FCE (maybe other apps as well) the sequence setting must match the clip settings in order to avoid being forced to render when simply adding a clip to the timeline/sequence.
I realize FCx can "auto-conform" the sequence to match the "Very first clip" added if the parameters do not initially match.
The trouble I'm having is that I have clips (very first of a new project/sequence) that do not get the "auto-conform ??" dialog. With sequence set to "AIC, 1920x1080i60, 29.97, 48khz audio, etc..." and the 1st clip set to "H.264/MPEG4/AVC, 48khz-AAC, 1920x1080...etc", I do NOT get the "auto-conform" dialog.
However, if the 1st clip is AIC-encoded with any "difference" like maybe 1280x720 (instead of 1920x1080)...then I do see the auto-conform" dialog ??
Does anyone know how FCE decides whether to show the auto-conform" dialog ??

Thanks in advance !

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: Final Cut Express no auto-conform sequence dialog for H.264 AVC
on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:22:12 am

You won't get the dialog because it's not a supported realtime format.
What camera you shot?

Convert your H264 to Apple Intermediate Codec and you're good to go.
ProRes is the best way to go but you don't have Final Cut Pro.

Return to posts index

Rick Williams
on Jan 28, 2011 at 2:28:58 pm

Thanks for your response. However, I am hoping to cut the tedious step of "transcoding all my video" out of the process, and since I don't know of any cameras that record in Apple Intermmediate Codec format, it means importing the native H.264/AVC media.

So how do you know which are the "supported realtime formats" ? Are they the ones that show up in the "Easy Setups" ?? I think these are AIC, AVCHD-AIC, DVCPRO-AIC....something like that ?

In final Cut Pro, the auto-conform dialog DOES show up ?? So based on our reply, does this mean the H.264/AVC format I have IS a supported realtime format in FCP ??

Regards--

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 29, 2011 at 11:48:12 pm

Hi Rick,
This links to the list of FCs supported formats and codecs:
http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/#finalcutpro
Cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jan 31, 2011 at 2:19:43 pm

H264 is 'supported'. As long as you just do simple edits.
You don't want to render a h264 timeline in FCP. Or use effects or whatever.

Convert to ProRes. (Mpeg streamclip or Compressor) Edit in ProRes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]