FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping 1280 x 720 video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Starr
Cropping 1280 x 720 video
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:14:29 am

Here's my confession: It's been 7 plus years since stopped doing video production. I last used a Media 100 system running on a Vincent card. Now I sell a gas forge for blacksmiths of my own design. I am now really staring to incorporate short demo videos on my website and have what I hope is a very simple question. I have been given 1280 x 720 H264 video that shows my forge being used. The footage a full shot that really does not show enough detail. The embedded player on my website is 768 x 432. Is there a way to crop a portion of the 1280 x 720 video to display 768 x 432? I have access to Final Cut Pro 6 through a friend, but want to know if what I am asking is possible.

Thanks,

David
Chile Forge

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: Cropping 1280 x 720 video
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:44:10 am

hi David

it is possible, however not supported for realtime options, meaning, you'll have to render everything

create a new sequence

go to sequence settings (right click the sequence)

chose "custom" for size and put in your numbers

make the sequence square pixel

and no field dominance

for QT video settings, use prores

click ok.

throw in your video, FCP will ask whether you want the sequence changed by the video, say NO.

video will resize to fit your new, custom sequence

now right click video in timeline, and select remove attributes

chose "basic motion", and "distort"

your video will grow back to its original size.

click w until you see an X on your video (wireframe)

with mouse, drag and reposition your video the way you want

render, and export - quicktime movie - current settings

hope this helps

hector

Hector Berrebi
Schibber Group
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

David Starr
on Jan 27, 2011 at 12:09:09 pm

Thanks for the quick answer. I will give it a try.

David

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 27, 2011 at 8:01:15 pm

Don't forget that the H.264 codec is toxic to FCP in large enough doses. It's a codec that's very processor-intensive, and a long enough clip or a large collection of shorter clips can make FCP go catatonic.

The fix: use Apple's Compressor, QT Pro or a freebie application called MPEG Streamclip to convert the H.264 video to FCP's go-to codec, ProRes 422. Yeah, the file size will be significantly larger, but it's better than having FCP choke at the worst time.

I seem to recall that the M100 codec was basically a clone of MJPEG B. It didn't make bit of difference in M100 -- it is wasn't in M100, it got rendered. At least FCP gives you a choice of codecs, best used on a timeline-by-timeline basis.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]