FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blurry MPEG Footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mozart Palmer
Blurry MPEG Footage
on Jan 27, 2011 at 2:33:42 am

Hi,

I was out shooting with a different camera to the one I use. It's nothing special, but when I downloaded the footage it looked fine on my friend's PC. I brought them home (in MPEG format) to edit with Final Cut Pro (version 5). The first thing I noticed was that the film often looks like this:

It does this in Quicktime Player as well as VLC and FCP. I've looked at many forums, but no one seems to be having this problem. I expect to be working with this camera a lot in future, so it'd be great to solve this problem as my editing gear is much better than my friend's…and he wants it to look so.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Blurry MPEG Footage
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:11:39 am

That's called INTERLACING, and computer displays and QT don't deal with it well. TVs do though...so if you make DVDs, you're fine. But if you make QT movies, you need to deinterlace the final output.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:35:22 am

HI shane..since your up late too...
I'm wondering why not just deinterlace everything. I make 30 minute programs for
dvd distribution and for delivery for local broadcast on DVD -downconverted from HD
to 4:3.

Using ProRES 1080i camera and FCP7 and compressor.
George

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2011 at 4:58:44 am

[george sloan] "HI shane..since your up late too..."

It's not even 9PM here...

[george sloan] "I'm wondering why not just deinterlace everything."

Because you then lose half your resolution. Why shoot 1080i if you are just going to deinterlace? Shoot a progressive format if your intent is the web. There are MANY cameras that shoot progressive. Interlaced is for TV or DVD delivery. But deinterlacing will toss out one field altogether, and fill the missing information with the other field.

[george sloan] "I make 30 minute programs for
dvd distribution and for delivery for local broadcast on DVD -downconverted from HD
to 4:3."

Then you have no reason to deinterlace. Both formats support interlacing.

[george sloan] "Using ProRES 1080i camera"

What camera shoots to ProRes other than the Alexa?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mozart Palmer
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:09:14 am

Hi, thanks very much, I had a suspicion that was it. Is there anyway to compensate for it as it's going to be used on computers (data projection) rather than on television and it's a pain in the neck trying to edit it like this. I guess this teaches me to shoot on DV tape or HD rather than on a DVD camcorder.

Return to posts index

george sloan
on Jan 27, 2011 at 5:31:20 am

Thanks Shane,
Sorry I meant shooting in 1080i and rendering sequence to ProRes .
Another newby question...when exporting Prores sequence to compressor then do i need to
to select Prores in compressor's QT settings once again?

Should I use Compressor's Mpeg2 settings? I noticed that these settings don't seem include
codecs.
George

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 27, 2011 at 1:24:36 pm

[Mozart Palmer] "Hi, thanks very much, I had a suspicion that was it. Is there anyway to compensate for it as it's going to be used on computers (data projection) rather than on television and it's a pain in the neck trying to edit it like this. I guess this teaches me to shoot on DV tape or HD rather than on a DVD camcorder."
What you shouldn't do is to bring ".mpgs" to FC. Is not supported.
Use MPGStreamclip and convert it to Prores. At the same time, you de-interlace it.

[george sloan] "Another newby question...when exporting Prores sequence to compressor then do i need to
to select Prores in compressor's QT settings once again?

Should I use Compressor's Mpeg2 settings? I noticed that these settings don't seem include
codecs."

No choice, because MPEG-2 is the only codec supported for SD DVDs.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Mozart Palmer
on Jan 28, 2011 at 3:53:16 am

Thanks Rafael, I really appreciate your time. For some reason (and I looked into it) I can't export in ProRes format…MPEG Streamclip just doesn't have that option. So I downloaded the ProRes codec (it's there, but I thought I'd try installing it as per Apple downloads), still no luck. But I used DV format, chose to deinterlace, and it works perfectly. Thanks a bunch!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]