FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alexa Footage - Media Manager Error 34

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eddie Kesler
Alexa Footage - Media Manager Error 34
on Jan 25, 2011 at 8:40:11 pm

I have a large commercial project I'm working on in FCP that was shot on a new Arri Alexa. We're utilizing the ProRes422 HQ output from the camera with merged WAV audio (there were many sync issues!). We're color correcting on a new Mac based DaVinci Resolve. We've already CC'd two of the 5 spots on it, but in preparing the select files for the next session, I wanted to use Media Manager to pull only the clips needed in the sequences with 2 second handles. For the first two, I gave the colorist the whole clip of each scene. There weren't as many scenes, but its a lot of GB to juggle. Everything was fine on the DaVinci at least.

This time, I set Media Manager to Copy the sequence clips to a new folder with handles and for some reason, it's only copying and flattening the selects from the only two clips that aren't ProRes HQ. They are just standard ProRes and were shot on a Phantom camera. Final Cut is giving me an error #34 on all the others and asking if I want to retry, continue or abort. It put files in the folder, but they look as if they aren't flattened and doesn't know what app to open them in. I can open them in QT and they play, but I'm not sure why it's telling me it's "failed" with this error and why it won't flatten the file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Eddie

http://www.jamedit.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Alexa Footage - Media Manager Error 34
on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:16:16 am

First, no Alexa experience, just trying to help.

[Eddie Kesler] " It put files in the folder, but they look as if they aren't flattened and doesn't know what app to open them in. I can open them in QT and they play, but I'm not sure why it's telling me it's "failed" with this error and why it won't flatten the file."

Sorry, can you explain this?

Also, did you use the Alexa XMLs when you originally imported?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:23:27 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/8/1118611

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 12:32:03 am

Can you just run them through Cinema Tools instead of recompressing? (simply conform to the same frame rate). Might do enough to shake up the index, if that's the problem.

Also, there's this, but might not be applicable:

http://www.spherico.com/filmtools/

And finally ProRes 4x4 doesn't play on kipros no matter what the source.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:14:40 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "And finally ProRes 4x4 doesn't play on kipros no matter what the source."

Correct... These were ProRes(HQ) directly from an Alexa and would not play on a KiPro unless exported from a FCP timeline or via a QT Save As...

The Media Manager and KiPro issue point to a QT wrapper/media disconnect. I know for a fact the KiPro ignores the wrapper and looks at the media track. Try trimming a movie in QT and see if the KiPro respects it... it won't.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 3:35:17 pm

[John Heagy] "Correct... These were ProRes(HQ) directly from an Alexa and would not play on a KiPro unless exported from a FCP timeline or via a QT Save As..."

Did you try a quick conform in CT?

[John Heagy] "Try trimming a movie in QT and see if the KiPro respects it... it won't. "

Meaning without resaving as a self contained?

Just curious as all as Alexa could be coming our way soon.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:00:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Did you try a quick conform in CT?"

The Conform button is grayed out when opening original Alexa QTs. We also captured footage direct to a KiPro (needed audio) and conform is active for those. Definitely someth'n up with Alexa QTs.

Modifying Camera Original files is something we would never consider anyway... even names. We would need to copy them first, in which case I'd just use CatDV to batch export as self contained and fix them that way.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Meaning without resaving as a self contained?"

Yes trim then Save, modifying the original file.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 6:03:07 pm

[John Heagy] "The Conform button is grayed out when opening original Alexa QTs. We also captured footage direct to a KiPro (needed audio) and conform is active for those. Definitely someth'n up with Alexa QTs."

Hmm. Wonder what the TypeCode is?

[John Heagy] "Yes trim then Save, modifying the original file."

What if you mark in and out on the orig, copy, make a new container, paste and save as self contained?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 7:06:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Hmm. Wonder what the TypeCode is?"

No MacType, should be MooV, and no CreaterType, FCP is KeyG and QT is TVOD

[Jeremy Garchow] "What if you mark in and out on the orig, copy, make a new container, paste and save as self contained?"

That should work.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:17:41 pm

[John Heagy] "No MacType, should be MooV, and no CreaterType, FCP is KeyG and QT is TVOD "

Might have something to do with OPs media management problem.

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:14:48 am

I think error 34 is hard drive full. How much space do you have on the drive where you're copying the footage?

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 26, 2011 at 8:37:34 pm

I didn't use an Alexa XML to import. The footage was given to me as "dailies" on 4 separate drives from each day of the shoot. They had an editor on set who was synching the video ProRes output with the WAV files. That was a mess. There's random drifting that happened upon synching using timecode. We found out that there's a problem with the camera - firmware update or something like that. So everything had to be synched by eye and ear the old school way. Regardless, that's all another story.

So, I compiled all the merged footage per series in Final Cut Pro. No XMLs. Just bins, etc..

Plenty of space on the hard drive. So, that's not the problem.

I was able to pull up the QT select outputs that Final Cut tried to export by manually dragging them into QT. I can save them as a self-contained MOV and everything seems to be ok. It's just a pain in the ass to have to open every single clip and re-save them. I'm waiting on the DaVinci operator to break from session to see if he can directly open the outputs from FCP without the wrapper, but it still is a problem and shouldn't be giving me errors on export. Not sure if it's Alexa's fault or FCP.

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:18:39 pm

So...the DaVinci colorist said he wasn't able to import ANY of the files I gave him that Final Cut spit out. Even the Phantom footage selects that open fine in QT. I forgot to mention that all the files have "-v" at the end of the titles. Not sure why.

I can give him the complete source files like I did before, but the difference is 66GB of footage to find and move as opposed to 4GB and a helluva lot easier to compact together instead of manually locating all the files of the different takes.

Media Manager should work for this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
Eddie

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:21:23 pm

[Eddie Kesler] "I forgot to mention that all the files have "-v" at the end of the titles. Not sure why."

That usually means that your drive that you are using is formatted incorrectly, and won't accept files over 4GBs.

What format is the hard drive, probably not OS Extended, correct?

66GB is not that much. YOu could give him 66GBs and an EDL and probably be done with it.

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:30:54 pm

That's not it. I have tons of files over 4GB on here already.

It's not that I mind giving him 66GB of footage, but it's a lot of leg work to manually look through the edl and find each take. Plus, I don't want to miss one, etc... Media Manager's function is made specifically to do this task, but something's not working properly.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 9:44:04 pm

[Eddie Kesler] "That's not it. I have tons of files over 4GB on here already. "

On the drive you gave to the colorist or your own drive? Can you open any of the files you created? Walk me through what you did to media manage.

[Eddie Kesler] " Media Manager's function is made specifically to do this task, "

Mmm kinda, but it can be finicky, especially with merged clips. Do you have merged clips or how did you marry the audio to video? Do all of your clips have reel names? And as far as the drifting, my guess is that whoever started this mess imported the audio with a 29.97 easy setup and subsequently stamped the audio with that frame rate which will cause drifting if not fixed. For next time, you can delete the audio out of the project, setup a new 23.98 easy setup, save and quit FCP, then reimport the audio and all should be well. Or you can look here to fix it via XML:

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

Is this DaVinci Resolve or no?

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 26, 2011 at 10:47:41 pm

Most clips are merged, but there are several that were shot MOS and some is Phantom Footage that came from a different prodco with no audio. The Phantom files show up with thumbnails in the finder and open in QT easily. The rest do not - merged or not merged.

I think that the renaming at the end of all these clips is part of the reason that the colorist can't import them. The other issue is the fact that FCP is giving me the #34 error on all the Alexa files.

As far as the audio, the prodco who shot the footage confirmed that there is a bug with the video and audio files being out of sync after we alerted them to the problem. They said there's a patch for the camera that should fix it from here on out.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:18:21 pm

This is a mess. So you are saying that you can't see ANY of the original Alexa files? They all have a -v?

I don't see how camera firmware is going to fix double system sound.

This is all starting to sound like everything was mishandled as soon as the camera was turned on.

Do you still have the original 4 drives and the separate audio?

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:37:49 pm

So it was Media Manager that made the -v files? We don't use Media Manager (thankfully) or the merge command, but doesn't the -v indicate separate video and audio files? They're aren't a matching set of -a files anywhere?

Tell me if I have the steps correct...

1) 23.98 Alexa shoot
2) 23.98 dual audio
3) Both synced in FCP on location
Given there was drift I assume the syncing was done clip by clip on the timeline and not using the merge command? If so how were the clips joined? Were these synced clips exported or only existed as "clips" in a FCP Bin?
4) These synced clips were edited into a seg.
5) Seq Media Managed which produced error prone clips with -v that can't be opened anywhere?

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 26, 2011 at 11:56:26 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "This is a mess. So you are saying that you can't see ANY of the original Alexa files? They all have a -v?

Yes. Along with a sequence # for those that have duplicates.
(i.e. A004C001_101208_R1TZ-v
A004C001_101208_R1TZ-2-v)

[Jeremy Garchow] "I don't see how camera firmware is going to fix double system sound. "

Me either, but that's what they said. Remember, it's all digital.

[Jeremy Garchow] "This is all starting to sound like everything was mishandled as soon as the camera was turned on."

Not necessarily. It's a brand new camera and technology. We had issues with footage from RED when that first started to hit a couple years ago. Many of those issues are worked out. This was a big-budget shoot from a highly-reputable, LA production company. Not that we haven't had problems in the past with other technologies or prodcos, but it wasn't a bunch of amateurs.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Do you still have the original 4 drives and the separate audio?"

Yes, but it's all been consolidated into my RAID at the beginning of the job last month. Once the sync issues were resolved, there really hasn't been too many issues. The only other thing is that in my dynamic trimming of the merged clips in the timeline, it would offset what frame I was seeing in the trim window by 9 or 10 seconds. I worked around it, but it was annoying.

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jan 28, 2011 at 12:50:13 pm

I saw this thread by chance.

With the Alexa - as with any new hardware or software there had been issues - with the early firmwares/releases.
The firmware might have been responsible to write not complete FCP compatible QT files as FCP looks deeper into the file than for example QT Player 7.
Earlier versions of the firmware did write more and especially different timecodes to the QT file. These TC tracks could have different timebase, for example 24 and 25 and 30 or whatever. This might cause a sync issue. Different from the RED the Alexa saves a real flag to each timecode track and FCP will read that because of the flag.
As the Alexa does not record audio this can be a serious issue.

Earlier versions did write a 'film info' into the QT file which could make FCP to be confused . As far as I know the current version does not do that any more.
But latter can make the FCP Media Manager working a bit strange as it doesn't know what to do. The '-v' normally shows that a file isn't complete.

To solve the current problem you may write a little AppleScript for QT Player 7 which automates to save all your stuff as a new file.
Next time make sure to have the latest firmware installed and the camera operator will have done the camera setup in a way you need. The Alexa manual is not that thick or big, but you need to understand the options.

My AlexaTool can help FCP to understand better what's going on - as long as you use XML. XML can make FCP to modify the actual QT metadata of a file when working with FCP. That's the reason sometimes people see a new modification date of a file even though they think they never touched it before,

The Alexa has been proved to be working fine with FCP and that tool in a real lot of soaps here. Also ARRI did support kind of complex commercial with some big company and some big car manufacturer in the US in last december using the tool and everything was flawless.

There will be an Alexa firmware update probably next week. Also ARRI support will be probably very willing to help (I'm in Germany and can call them here, in the US I think they have an office in Burbank)

Maybe it helps a bit to understand.

Andreas

P.S.
I don't work for ARRI nor do I have any business relation to them. I even haven't touched or or seen an Alexa -- only the files created with it. And I've read the manual.

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 28, 2011 at 1:52:07 pm

Thanks, Andreas.

Return to posts index

Eddie Kesler
on Jan 28, 2011 at 4:05:52 pm

Thanks Andreas. Sounds like there's more to work out with the Alexa. I just wasn't sure if it was FCP or ARRI being the culprit. I guess we'll go through the same growing pains as we have done with the RED and every other new digital camera.

Along with the new non-linear Color Correctors and just finishers like Flame, etc.. using Media Manager would be an asset for this workflow. I hope we can get it to work.

Please post if you hear of any developments with the Alexa. We are strictly a post house and aren't always brought in the mix for on set technology until it's too late. If the producers would understand how much smoother the process would be if we could just have an extra conference call or two up front. In the film to SD only world we used to live in, things were much easier!

Thanks,
Eddie

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Jan 28, 2011 at 6:00:57 pm

Hi Eddie,

I talked to the ARRI guys today because of your issue and some other issues. As said there will be a firmware update very soon and they are willing to help. Also other things seem to come up soon.

Another thing is to understand the QT file structure and the way FCP (or any other NLE) does handle these files.
Unfortunately not all of the options or rules are documented which make a QT file a good QT file or do make it a good QT file for FCP (or anything else). With QT there are - like with any container format - some headers which are used do describe how the content should be handled or anything which might be used for anything else. There might be subtitles, markers, chapters or something like an iXML with audio.
Jeremy does know a bit about how I handle for example P2 MXF and that files can be prepared upfront to contain the right data.
It's like juggling -- sometimes this is done well, sometimes not (even within the Apple programming teams).

One thing (as I said above) you always can do is to strip down a QT file to its basics via simple AppleScript and a bit of reading and logic. That's why I learned AppleScript and the basics of QT.
You also may try to use the 'Batch Export' or maybe Compressor to 'flatten' the files to the basics.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Feb 24, 2011 at 5:32:09 pm

The new firmware V3 should be out soon or is already.

Andreas

Spherico

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Apr 5, 2011 at 5:29:10 pm

Just tried to Media Manage an Alexa v3 project - same issues.

I'm transferring the ProRes 4x4 QT files with 2 sec handles to a finish facility - wound up having to manually set ins & outs and export shot by shot.

Next time, I'll try Batch Export of all used clips and relinking to those, then try the Media Manager again.

David Jahns
Joint Editorial
Portland, OR

Return to posts index

Ben Watts
on Jul 7, 2011 at 3:21:37 pm

We got the same error message when we were trying to media manage an entire feature film shot on the Alexa for our colorist. When we simply tried to "Copy" using Media Manager, the files wouldn't work at all. However, we figured out that we could use "Recompress" to ProRes 4x4, and it worked just fine.

The only problem is, everything doesn't seem to be fine. All the files were there, but not as QT movies, as others have stated. Solution? Batch rename everything (free download from anywhere on the web) so that they all ended in .mov, and problem solved. Brought everything back into FCP, pointed to the media managed folder, and everything lined up perfectly.

Hopefully this will help with some of your issues.

Ben
Final Frame Post

Return to posts index

Bjarki Gudjonsson
on Dec 8, 2011 at 10:00:12 am

Hi guys.

Just had the same problem here. Couldn't copy or recompress, getting error numbers 34 and 14 respectively. Duplicated the timeline, removed all audio and everything worked. Strange one.

B.

Return to posts index

Christopher Travis
on Jun 13, 2012 at 4:07:41 pm

Hey all,

I'm having this problem and it seems to be a problem with the length of the clip names generated by the Alexa. It copies all the clips but they end in "-v".

I found a solution on the Apple discusion forums that seems to work though. If I media manage as normal, and "skip" all the errors, then, in Finder, manually replace "-v" with ".mov" the clips reconnect fine. It gives an error message on reconnection but a quick comparison showed that everything linked perfectly.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]