FORUMS: list search recent posts

ASF to Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
reza naghibi
ASF to Final Cut Pro
on Jan 25, 2011 at 7:54:37 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm assigned to edit a video of a timelapse that requires additional footage to be added from a CCTV feed (g64 file format). The videos have been converted to ASF for me by my coworker, but so far he hasn't been able to convert the files to anything else. The problem is that ASF isn't recognized by FCP, and when I converted it (using Miro, then FFmpeg, then Quicktime, then I also tried VLC) neither MOV nor MP4 would work. I'd drag the files in, but when I tried to play them in Slug i got "General Error" dialogue followed by "Not enough memory."

This computer has 4 gb's and the scratch disk has over 300 gigs to work with. The only thing I've managed to find on the internet regarding this issue is a post like this: http://gogo6969.com/2010/09/21/apple-final-cut-pro-general-error-out-of-mem...

The problem with the solution in that post is that I don't seem to have the AppleProRes conversion scheme.

To sum up: I need to use ASF files in FCP either by converting them or by any other means.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
Re: ASF to Final Cut Pro
on Jan 25, 2011 at 9:58:14 pm

When you say you don't have the prores scheme, what do you mean exactly? Do you not have the codec, or is it just not available n the compression software you are using?

Return to posts index

reza naghibi
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:04:23 pm

I mean that under the drop down box for compression I have a bunch of modes but not the prores one. I think the machine I'm working on has only FCP and no soundtrack, compressor, live type, or anything like that.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:23:44 pm

When you say you don't have the prores scheme, what do you mean exactly? Do you not have the codec, or is it just not available n the compression software you are using?

.asf is a windows format, so you might have to transcode to some kind of intermediate format, like wmv.

Personally, I would try working more with the original g64 file.

Return to posts index

reza naghibi
on Jan 25, 2011 at 11:37:23 pm

g64 is proprietary i cannot use it in FCP it will only play with it's player. we used one of the PC's here to do the conversion as the g64 player didn't work on OSX thru Firefox or Safari :(

Unfortunately the only format we have been able to convert the g64's to is ASF. Perhaps you're right tho and I should convert them on the PC to something more FCP or OSX friendly.

*sigh*

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 26, 2011 at 2:02:13 am

You can also try to export the ASF file as an image sequence. I recommend either TIFF or PNG.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jan 26, 2011 at 1:18:19 pm

What else can G64 output to? ASF is really compressed. AVI? WMV? Images?

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer
Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC
Avid & Color Videos Vasst.com
Compressor Essentials Lynda.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]