FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Media Composer Multi Codecs Share a thon

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jared prindle
FCP and Media Composer Multi Codecs Share a thon
on Jan 24, 2011 at 11:51:52 pm

I'm looking for some workflow suggestions.

I've got a project coming up that will have 2 editors editors cutting it from 2 locations. 1 editor working on a Media Composer and another w/ FCP. Sharing the projects using Automatic Duck seems like it will work good enough. I've had a bit of success with older versions and the newer ones seem a little better.
I will also have at least two codecs shooting with P2 cameras and DSLR's.

The sketchy plan: Give both editors Drives w/ the same MXF files and folder structure. (FCP computer can use Calibrated software to edit MXF natively).

Now for the DSLR's. I can convert everything to Prores but then mixing sequences w/ mxf and prores is one thing but then using Autoduck to deal with all that. Is it going to hold up. I imagine there's better workflows.

Transfer everything to ProRes but that seems like a lot of time to go from MXF to dvcprohd to prores.
Can P2 Log pro convert the P2's MXF files straight to Pro Res?

Suggestions?

Thanks

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
Re: FCP and Media Composer Multi Codecs Share a thon
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:23:40 am

no mater how i spin it... this seems messy

its one thing to edit on one system and finish on a different one, or even take over from a certain point and continue on a different system

but back and forth? sharing projects with autoduck? sharing MXF media? from different locations? why all the hassel?
did you guys loose a bet :)?

for one, note that in Avid MC5's and DSLR's case media must be AMA ingested, than transcoded. and a slightly different process for P2.

and that although solutions like MXF4MAC or autoduck work well, they are rather expensive, and as they change the way FCP reads files, media management can behave unexpectedly when working with this sort of plugins...

they also slow down workflows, and add crisis factors

the other way around, having FCP ingest and Avid use the files via AMA might get even more complex.

my best advice, if you really have to do this... test it for long enough, not 3 cuts, 3 days...
and have enough time to find an alternative... there's always one

Hector Berrebi
Schibber Group
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

jared prindle
on Jan 25, 2011 at 12:55:02 am

thanks for the reply. I know it will be messy. we may just have to have everyone edit FCP but that will also slow things down as there's learning shortcuts etc.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:02:33 am

[jared prindle] "we may just have to have everyone edit FCP but that will also slow things down as there's learning shortcuts etc."

Jared,

At least the learning that takes place will be learning while editing. In your initial scenario there would be lots of learning, lots of housekeeping, etc., all of which would be happening in lieu of editing.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:16:16 am

Better the initial slowness that the complete and utter mess you will create.

And OMF isn't busted. Just not used much anymore. Never between Avid and FCP.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:30:18 am

I'm asking OMF via AMA'd media does not work either, right?

Hence, busted.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:32:48 am

Oh, yeah. That. It isn't busted. It never worked. AAF and OMF just don't work with the new AMA feature.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 4:52:34 am

Busted! :)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2011 at 1:42:18 am

Do yourself and your editors a favor and DON'T do this. This will cause so many headaches, you'll spend more time trying to get sequences to sync than you will actually editing. Get them both using FCP or both using Avid. Even with Calibrated.

Everything you outlined makes my head spin. And I'm used to going FCP to Avid or Avid to FCP.

Shane

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 25, 2011 at 2:16:39 am

Jared, I agree with Shane and Hector, and I'd like to know exactly what you believe the upside of that "workflow" will be for your company and your project?

I hate to tell you, but your concept is just an awful idea for a workflow and yet another classic example of false economy that we see here almost daily, very much like the concept we hear all the time, in which producers tell us they're going to shoot multi-cam with several different cameras, several different frame rates, and several different codecs, and several different formats, because it will allow them to save some money.

Trust us when we warn you, whatever you think you're saving with this workflow, it will be frittered away exponentially by ongoing and never-ending file sharing and other housekeeping chores that will severely cut into your editor's creative time.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:30:25 am

I agree. Don't do it.

MXF4mac would help you out in this situation in that you could read the P2 and Avid MXFs natively right in FCP, but it's still going to be one giant mess as each system deals with it a little bit differently. Also Avid MXFs won't be a real time venture in FCP. Does Autoduck work with AMA'd media? Not sure about that one.

I'd pick a system.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:35:29 am

AAF export from Avid, what Automatic Duck uses to get timelines from Avid to FCP, does not work with footage brought into Avid via AMA. Correct.

Shane

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 25, 2011 at 3:44:58 am

OMF is busted too, right?

Return to posts index

jared prindle
on Jan 25, 2011 at 5:42:25 pm

That's a pretty unified response. It's funny when you want something to work so bad that you almost fool yourself into thinking it will and can work. Well maybe it can but it does sound like a horrible workflow. Luckily we've settled on FCP all around. Thanks again for all the advice.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]