FORUMS: list search recent posts

How was this done?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Morter-Laing
How was this done?
on Jan 24, 2011 at 9:21:23 am

Cool, so not an FCP question I guess, but wondering if you editors with more experience in compositing and graphics could give me some insight (at 10.46):
http://gizmodo.com/5741093/the-300-action-movie
Im assuming some hideous compositing thing with AE, but Im hoping someone can point me to a tutorial of sorts/ give me some tips/ simplify the process of making something like that... (im assuming Apple's Motion wouldnt do that very well?)
Cheers!

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: How was this done?
on Jan 24, 2011 at 9:26:50 am

That's ALL After Effects. You can see if Andrew Kramer has anything on this. Or Lynda.com.

Ugh...again, focus on effects, not story or characters. Sorry, I am not wow'd.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Hector berrebi
on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:53:48 am

to add to that

putting aside the excessive overuse of cheap looking effects.
if you look into it, you will notice most shots with effects are static, or have limited, timed, camera movements, this allows for much easier work in post and much less camera tracking is required, also reduces amount of rotoscoping, and overall compositing work. this came from some practice in shooting for effects, which is a major part in pulling them out properly.

there was some 3D involved, maybe Maya, also definitely Andrew Kramer's Action Essential pack.

this could be done on Motion, though will require quite some skill, and a 3D software. AE is probably more commonly used for these type of things

and it did not cost 300$... unless countless hours of post work are not worth anything... as well as crew and talents (even questionable ones)

i guess the hardest skill to master would be good taste, and good writing and directing skills.

though the idea in its core isn't that bad...

Hector Berrebi
Schibber Group
prePost Consulting

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
on Jan 24, 2011 at 2:41:02 pm

I'm not particularly expert with Motion, but I've done a few things with it on the strength of some tutorials and a book called "How to Cheat in Motion", and I'd be surprised if there's anything in that video that couldn't be done in Motion if you put the time and effort into it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]