FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to HD + FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Galli
New to HD + FCP
on Jan 22, 2011 at 1:48:15 am

Aloha, all!

I just purchased my first HD camcorder, a JVC GY-HM700. With a little luck, I'll have 2 more by the end of the semester. Yay, grant money!

Here's my next challenge... my lab is currently set up with 16 Intel iMacs and 4 older G5 editing stations, all running FCP Studio 2. The iMacs are just iMacs. No dedicated I/O devices, no NTSC monitors. The G5 stations each have a dedicated DSR-11 and NTSC monitor.

I want to set up at least one "proper" editing station with a monitor worthy of HD. My question is can I do this without having to buy a HD I/O device? if not, what's the I/O device of choice these days?

Mahalo!
Tom G

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: New to HD + FCP
on Jan 22, 2011 at 5:28:02 am

Tom, I understand wanting to spend less, but "proper" monitoring absolutely requires an I/O card or device. And, while Gerry-rigging something will get you picture, you will not be able to properly view and determine if their are fields issues with your video. Moreover, I think it's irresponsible to teach students anything less than proper professional techniques, less they enter the workforce ill-prepared for the real world.

Check out the Matrox MXO2 LE, for about $950 retail you get a device that will do everything you could want. I'm sure their is academic pricing available too.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: New to HD + FCP
on Jan 22, 2011 at 11:00:48 am

[Tom Galli] "My question is can I do this without having to buy a HD I/O device?"

No, not properly.

[Tom Galli] " if not, what's the I/O device of choice these days?"

Matrox makes a product that Shane Ross really likes, the MXO series. Simply search this forum for Shane Ross MXO and you'll find a lot of posts by him. He may even have an article or two here on the Cow as well.

Personally I love the AJA Kona LHi just because it gives me more flexibility not only as an I/O device, but also a realtime hardware conversion tool. SD to HD, HD to SD and HD Cross Conversion in realtime which we use all the time.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Register now for our Open House March 5

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]