FORUMS: list search recent posts

What besides disk speed causes dropped frames during capture?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Petereit
What besides disk speed causes dropped frames during capture?
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:16:10 pm

MacPro 8-core, 4GB RAMM, BlackMagic HD Extreme

I've been using this system for 2 years to live-capture 720p video to Apple ProRes. Never had any dropped frame issues, even when setting an external USB drive as my capture scratch.

Last week I started getting dropped frames during capture. Well, over the years I've accumulated a lot of "stuff" on the Mac, and lots of video from various projects, so I just chalked it up to system congestion and decided that it was a good excuse to shelf my old drives, install brand new drives, and reinstall Snow Leopard and Final Cut. Just for good measure, I bought 3 Hitachi drives and configured two of them in RAID0 to use for capture. No way I'm going to get dropped frames now, eh?

Wrong. Still getting dropped frames on capture. WTW?!

So if it's not drive speed, what else would it be?

Mark

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: What besides disk speed causes dropped frames during capture?
on Jan 21, 2011 at 9:59:06 pm

re-install or update black magic drivers.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 21, 2011 at 10:20:11 pm

First, quit rubbing your head in anguish, it will make you bald...

Oops, too late...

Next, go over to the left side of your sequence where you'll see the tiny RT button... Click on it... What are the settings there now?

Change those... check unlimited RT, and check dynamic for picture quality. Now, see if you get the dropped frames warnings.

And, follow Chris' advice too -- uninstall and reinstall your I/O drivers. If you updated to the most recent release of the OS, that probably *&^%ed-up your drivers.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:28:26 pm

LOL!! Thanks, Dave! After all my anguish today I needed a good laugh! :-D

I didn't reinstall the drivers when I reinstalled the OS -- I downloaded 'em fresh from BlackMagic.

Do the RT settings figure into the mix when you're doing Log & Capture (cause that's where I'm getting the dropped frames)? But here's the settings:

Safe RT (Will change to Unlimited)
Scrub High Quality
Playback Video Quality: Dynamic
Playback Frame Rate: Full
Multiclip Playback
Record to tape: Full Quality

Reinstalling Drivers...

Return to posts index

Mark Petereit
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:35:17 pm

One other thing, I noticed while I was capturing. At first the capture preview was on-sync with the source, but latency increased over time until the dropped frame message popped up and it pooched the capture.

I'm testing with BlackMagic's Media Express now and it doesn't look like it's having that increasing latency issue.

Has there been a Final Cut update in the last couple weeks? (I'm still on v6)

Mark

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]