FORUMS: list search recent posts

reverse telecine - compensating for mixed frame rates

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chelsea Knight
reverse telecine - compensating for mixed frame rates
on Jan 21, 2011 at 5:38:59 pm

I shot my last piece with an HV40 and an HV20, thinking I could just reverse telecine the 24PF footage from the HV20 to 24P. It worked okay (though I didn't use Prores because the files were huge) but now when I layer footage it won't sync, the footage I reverse telecined is slower than the native 24p footage and I can't sync sound. How should I be processing my 24PF footage to get it to sync to native 24P footage?

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
Re: reverse telecine - compensating for mixed frame rates
on Jan 21, 2011 at 6:43:21 pm

It sounds like it removed frames without changing the frame rate. What process did you use to inverse telecine?

Return to posts index

Chelsea Knight
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:30:16 pm

I used compressor. Usually I use PRORES but the conversion was making gigantic files, so I just used compressor with an HDV24P setting and "reverse telecine" on frame controls. Everything seemed to come out looking fine, I dropped it in my timeline in FCP and it is 23.98 fps. Should I go back and prores process everything? The files just came out way too big no matter what settings I put in.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 21, 2011 at 7:43:45 pm

Prores shouldn't have anything to do with it.

In the frame controls did you select 'Set Duration to 100% of Source?'

Also, roughly how far off is the sync? If you had to guess, does it seem more like the difference between 24 and 30, or 23.98 vs 24?

Seattle, WA
Videologist

Return to posts index

Chelsea Knight
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:12:46 pm

Actually I think I turned off 100% of source because I thought it meant size, i.e. 1920x1080 vs. 1440x1080, so that could be it. It's way off, i.e. when I start in sync with two clips shot with the two cameras, it goes out of sync almost immediately, like WAY out of sync, and the reverse telecined footage is sort of too fluid and slow. But when I tried just speeding the footage up a little to see, it made the person's voice sound high but it was STILL slower. I find that very strange.

I'll try with 100% of source checked and see how it goes.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Chelsea Knight
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:44:59 pm

Actually, I just checked, and I did indeed reverse telecine it at 100% of source duration. So I don't know what's going on.

Return to posts index

Olin Padilla
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:58:28 pm

I would try Cinema Tools.

First I would try using one of your inverse telecined clips and conforming the frame rate.

If that's not a fix, then I would try doing the entire inverse telecine process with Cinema Tools using the original media. Once you know that works, you can transcode the now progressive videos. Test it with one clip first.

Also, if you don't have space for prores, and you don't have access to prores LT, then I would probably use XDCAM. I generally avoid HDV at all costs.

But again, the codec isn't the problem here.

Return to posts index

Chelsea Knight
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:20:55 pm

Thank you so much! I will try this.

Return to posts index

Chelsea Knight
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:48:46 pm

Also, I've checked the original files with the reverse telecined files and they are much slower, 2 seconds difference for each 10 seconds, approximately. But when I go to choose "reverse telecine" in the compressor options, it blanks out my option to choose "100 % of source" even though it looks like it's checked anyhow. So I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 22, 2011 at 12:28:46 am

What is your frame rate set to in the encoder section?

Should be custom and 23.976.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]