FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best Prosumer HD Camera

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
trevor ambrose
Best Prosumer HD Camera
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:35:36 am

Hey guys,

Here's a fairly simple question that I'm sure has been asked many times.

What's the best HD prosumer camera (that can shoot 24fps) for in and around $1000?

Thanks,
Trevor Ambrose

ps I want to make a ground breaking independent feature film that will blow everyone away. ...and I kind of really mean it. ;)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best Prosumer HD Camera
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:52:22 am

Prosumer cameras are in the $2000-$8000 range. $1000 is a consumer level camera.

How about the Canon 60P DSLR camera?

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:11:32 am

Sorry Shane. I'm not seeing exactly which camera this is on a google search. Is there any other info (like model number)?
Thanks,
Trev.

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:37:53 am

thankyouverymuch
(in a liverpool accent)

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:43:09 am

Looks like the T2i might be in his budget.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 20, 2011 at 4:51:36 am

The 60D is as much, but has more features. I'm irked that I got my T2i opposed to this.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2011 at 8:47:30 am

If you are looking for Video cameras, have a look to the PANASONIC TM700 (3 CMOS).
Another option is the Canon Vixia HF-100 (Lexia HF-100 in Pal-land).
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:34:36 am

60D is more expensive... well certainly in the UK. I have a T2i and its awesome. Good debate to be had here actually, I mean, in terms of image quality, the T2i is easily as good as some 4grand cameras.... yes yes yes i KNOW there are many disadvantages with DSLRs but Im talking abut video quality... I dunno why theyre considered consumer... I mean the 7D for example, is a pro/semipro stills camera. I would easily consider it on a par with a "prosumer" video camera...

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Jan 20, 2011 at 1:36:52 pm

I'll chip in a suggestion for the Panasonic GH2, or GH1 with hacked firmware. 24p 1080 in the case of the GH1. Stunning quality.

Jason

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

*the artist formally known as Jaymags*

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 20, 2011 at 2:05:55 pm

[Thomas Morter-Laing] "I mean the 7D for example, is a pro/semipro stills camera. I would easily consider it on a par with a "prosumer" video camera..."
DSLRs ar that, nothing to do with a video camera Pro or Prosumer camera.
DSLRs are a great complement for a video maker and can works great for certain jobs, but lets don't mix concepts.
You buy a Prosumer camera and a laptop, and you have a production company ready to go.
You buy a DSLR and a laptop, and you are a photographer.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 20, 2011 at 3:26:28 pm

Most of the stuff I've been getting from shooters off the 7D (and the T2i and 60D is the same video system fwiw) is much better than previous P2 footage. There is one aspect to the DSLRs that seems to improve footage. You can't do a bunch of pointless zooming. The lack of easy panning and zooming without extra gear tends to make the videographer shoot more like a still or cinematic shooter. The shots I've been getting aren't full of zoom adjustments right in the sweet spot of the shot. Pans and tilts are much more planned out. And full 1080p shot with some prime lenses and that shallow depth of field ain't too bad.

Maybe DSLRs are like the XL1 rage back in the day. They're cheap, until you add the xlr audio package, the shoulder mount, the eyepiece/lcd add ons, etc.

My current DSLR still camera is the earlier Rebel XT. What would be the T2i today. It doesn't shoot video. And with 2 little kids I'd love to shoot quality 1080p video of them. My iphone 3Gs videos and DV camcorder videos just aren't going to look that great in the future. So to get a t2i or 60D body and keep my same lenses would be a good deal for me. I wouldn't have to train the wife how to use the T2i since the controls are the same. But the 60D has that flip out screen and 7D features. Looks like the sweet spot. Shane, was that your thinking too?

Return to posts index

trevor ambrose
on Jan 21, 2011 at 2:53:32 pm

Wow! What a lively thread!

I usually like to respond individually to every reply-er but there's a bunch of you this time.

Thank you Shane, Steve, Raphael, Thomas, Jason and Bret.
You've really helped me focus up on what I might really need. I think I'm leaning towards an actual photographic camera. Quality at a low cost is everything. There's a certain Guerrilla brilliance to that principle.

Thanks guys! This is my favorite site on the internet.

Trev.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]