FORUMS: list search recent posts

NAS options for an alternating FCP editing seats

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
José Luis Martínez Díaz
NAS options for an alternating FCP editing seats
on Jan 19, 2011 at 10:18:10 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a solution to have access to all my media from 2 different workstations. I basically have a full featured FCP editing station based on a macpro where I do all my onlining, fx, color correction and so, and a smaller, quieter, much simpler setup (Macbook pro) I use for offlining in the upper story.

I'm looking for a NAS or similar solution to have access to all the assets of a project from either stations, offlining in the macbook and then onlining and fx in the mac pro. I do not plan to access from both stations at the same time.

I basically work with red projects, but trought a prores LT offlining, some AVID DNx36 also.

I've been looking at THECUS N4200ECO and the damned Drobo FS, but really can't find an specific solution for this. Ideally, Macpro should be able to access data directly by a much quicker interface, and NAS should provide some level of protection. Ethernet seems like the only viable alternative, since machines are quite away one from the other.

Any ideas?. Remember this is a one man shop, so no simultaneos access should be needed.

Cheers,

Jose

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: NAS options for an alternating FCP editing seats
on Jan 19, 2011 at 11:50:29 pm

You could look in to somehtke this:

http://www.CalDigit.com/HDPro2

You would need both the pcie and express card HBAs but all you would need to do is swap the cable from the laptop hba to the desktop hba.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

José Luis Martínez Díaz
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:12:52 am

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. Yes, I know, and love Caldigit products, but I live in a 3 stories house, having the post station in the lowest and the macbook in the upper, I need the cable to go for long distances, so I suppose an ethernet is my best option?. Also budget is a concern.

Cheers,

Jose

Return to posts index

Michael Peele
on Jan 20, 2011 at 12:27:07 am

What if you just share your current storage on a fast network (using the Mac Pro as a server)? Is it fast enough for your offline edit using the Mac Book?

ProRes LT is 102Mb/sec - and you will definitely need a 1Gb ethernet for just about ANY solution. It's a cheap solution that could work with your existing hardware. Heck you might even be able to get a 10Gb ethernet setup for not much more (ermmm...10Gb on a MBP??).

I don't know if this is possible but you should be able to just directly connect the two machines, no switch needed, drastically reducing the cost of the solution. Definitely cheap to try.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]