FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble with Compressor

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Stolzar
Trouble with Compressor
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:48:17 pm

Hello

I'm running Compressor 3.5.3 on a Macbook Pro (2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB Memory) with Snow Leopard (10.6.6). I'm trying to compress a 13.5 minute film to upload to Youtube. I exported a Quicktime movie (ProRes, 1920x1080, audio-16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz) from FCP 7.0.3. When export the QT movie from compressor with the youtube preset, it gets to less than a quarter of the way and then the time starts going up and up. I've tried everything I can think of to make Compressor run faster:

Re-exported a QT movie from FCP
Ran Compressor Repair
Did a clean install, using FCS remover

Still nothing is working and I keep having the same problem. Does anyone have any other solutions/recommendations to make compressor run like it used to aka pretty fast? If there's any other information that would help please let me know.

Thank you
Scott

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
Re: Trouble with Compressor
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:51:23 pm

Have u checked source file? Have u tried to compress to different template? Have u tried send to compressor instead of exporting?

Return to posts index

Scott Stolzar
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:34:21 am

Hi

The source quicktime plays fine if that's what you mean by checking the file. I've tried the standard Compressor H.264 as well as some of my own custom templates and the same thing happens. I haven't tried Send To Compressor because I've had bad luck with that in the past (taking forever, using different i/o points for some clips). I'll give it a shot because I've nothing to lose. However, the fact that it won't compress a self contained ProRes movie is quite a problem for a piece of Apple pro-video software.

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:46:54 am

You can change the preset from Mulitpass to single, that would speed it up. Using a virtual cluster would also (but since you only have 2 cores it may not be worth it. H264 is a slow process there is a device (USB dongle) TurboHD that will give you better than or close to RT for $150 or Matrox has there MAX encoders but much more $ but I believe you get better quality for the extra $.

Encoding H264 is all processor, you want fast, you have to spend.

Also the type of video, fast moving, lots of cuts will slow down the process also, especially on multipass.

Return to posts index

Scott Stolzar
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:08:44 am

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the single pass method. I had tried the virtual cluster before (forgot to mention that) but the same thing happened.

I briefly looked into the TurboHD, but I'm actually saving up for a Mac Pro so I'm trying to only buy absolutely necessary items.

Is there anything maintenance-wise that I can do with my computer that might help boost the speed?

In the meantime, I'm going to try to just let compressor run overnight and see what happens. Hopefully it will at least finish compressing. I will follow up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:20:02 pm

Try Reexporting your movie.

Return to posts index

Scott Stolzar
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:41:41 pm

Hi

As I said in my original post, I had tried re-exporting the QT movie from FCP. Twice actually. The second time I even completely re-rendered the sequence before exporting.

It did work when I exported it overnight and I didn't notice anything wrong with the file so at least I know that it will work even if it takes forever.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:02:16 pm

As gas been mentioned, a virtual cluster will help here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]