FORUMS: list search recent posts

maddening sync issues

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike miller
maddening sync issues
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:57:24 pm

Hey everybody...pulling my hair out. i shot my sons christmas show on a panasonic dvx100B, DVNTSC 48k. plays back fine on the tape, audio is locked with video. i digitized the footage into a 1.5TB lacie d2 quadro which i set up as my capture scratch drive. i'm on a macbook pro running snow leopard, FCP v 6.06. the external drive is hooked up to the laptop via firewire 800 and i had the camera hooked into the external hd via firewire 800.

when playing back in fcp, over time the video seems to have drifted behind the audio. am i trying to digitize too long of a clip? does it have something to do with capturing to an external hd? never had a problem before, just recently loaded snow leopard, could that be the issue?

have another project "the nutcracker" a 2 hour show. most of it seems in sync, a section is off by 1:09, i slid the audio to match the video. exported from fcp imported into dvd studio pro burned a dvd, when i watch the dvd the clip is out of sync again...

i've uninstalled Final cut studio 2 using a remover program, reinstalled snow leopard, reinstalled final cut studio, ran software updater, etc...still sync issues...

help!
thanks in advance.
mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: maddening sync issues
on Jan 18, 2011 at 6:29:04 pm

It's possible that you're encountering a FCP 6 and Snow Leopard issue. They are not a couple that are 100% in love with one another. Leopard and FCP 6 were happily married, and Snow and FCP 7 are blissfully wedded, but ver. 6 and SL are not a marriage made in heaven.

However, have you trashed your prefs and fixed permissions?

[mike miller] "am i trying to digitize too long of a clip?"

probably has nothing to do with the issue

[mike miller] " does it have something to do with capturing to an external hd?"

almost assuredly not... However, did you install the latest drivers meant for Snow Leopard? If not , that's a no, no...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

mike miller
on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:02:06 pm

Thanks David...can I ask you how I go about trashing my prefs and permissions ? I'll try that first. If that doesn't solve it it sounds like my next option is upgrading to fcp 7...I will also see if I have the driver for the external drive installed ....not with my laptop right now.

It's folks like you that make creative cow so amazing.
Thanks

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:07:18 pm

Get yourself Preference Manager and use it to trash your preferences (it's free): http://www.digitalrebellion.com/prefman/

And, fix permissions on your system drive using Applications>>Utilities>>Disk Utility

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

mike miller
on Jan 18, 2011 at 7:18:45 pm

Thanks David ...I'll try this when I get home. Is fcp 7 worth $299!?

Return to posts index

mike miller
on Jan 19, 2011 at 2:40:05 pm

Hey David...well, I trashed the prefs and ran disk permissions. then I blew away any trace of the "nutcracker" project including all media, etc. redigitized the first 50 mins of the program. panasonic dvx100b ntsc 48k, using "capture now". there is a point around 13 mins into the show where someone on stage slams a wooden box closed, i've been using this as a "clapper" to determine if audio and pic are in sync. during digi, the guy slams the box closed and the audio matches (so, sync if fine on original tape). however, after i digi this first tape, i opened it up in fcp (6.06), scrubbed to @ 13 mins in, and there is the sync issue again. you hear the wooden box "clap" then just over 1 second later you see the guy slam the box shut. so, i'm still out of sync!

I'm on a zero budget, so, trying to avoid upgrade to fcp7. especially since i have no way of knowing for sure if fcp 7 will correct the sync issue...

at a loss...
mike

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:10:42 pm

It seems as though your audio may have possibly been captured at 32K or 44.1.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

mike miller
on Jan 19, 2011 at 4:41:41 pm

hmmm, no, camera shows 48k. channel 1 was recorded with a rhode shotgun mic for crowd sounds and channel 2 was xlr direct to the mixing board for clean music.

i re-re-re-digitized using batch digi and taking it in in 5min or less clips...touch wood, seems like that may provide a work around...

thanks again for your thinking/help on this david. my wife is like, that is so cool that you (from philly area) can get help from someone in LA!

mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]