FORUMS: list search recent posts

Dolby E layoff nightmare

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thom Obarski
Dolby E layoff nightmare
on Jan 18, 2011 at 2:36:55 am

I need to layoff a couple of spots with stereo and dolby E to HDCam; however when I go to capture the project post layoff (just to test to see if everything is working ok) i'm getting super stuttery audio thru the decoder and crc errors on almost every frame; any thoughts? We're doing a cross conversion thru an FS-1 from 23.98 to 59.94; I had the sample rate conversion off; and just to make sure I retested the audio by doing an audio only insert directly from a 29.97 timeline.

everything seems ok with fcp settings if i play directly from the timeline thru the decoder I get perfect audio; its just the recaptured audio that is stuttery; unfortunately since it's a software solution i can't find any way to monitor during capture; so there's always the option that I'm distorting it somehow on recapture and it's actually fine on the tape.

Setup
our inhouse deck is the HDW-1800; I have it set so that the audio is recording burst data to tracks 3&4 audio is set to cut & 1f (I read somewhere having your ref set to SD for external would help; but my ref is set to video in; so really the hd/sd distinction there shouldn't matter right?)
fcp 7.0.3 with track assignment 4 mono tracks;( recapture settings: Aja 10 bit; proresHQ 1080i29.97 48/24 audio)
kona 3v8.0

Any and all help would be much appreciated!
~Thom

"This is post, you can't fix it after this."

Return to posts index

Thom Obarski
Re: Dolby E layoff nightmare
on Jan 18, 2011 at 3:04:18 am

***UPDATE***

Found a way to wire the deck thru the system so the decoder could read the tape directly w/o re-capture and it's def not getting onto the tape correctly; any pointers at this point would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

David Penfold
on Jan 18, 2011 at 1:39:47 pm

Some Sony HD Tape decks are very strict on accepting a non referenced video signal. When you are laying off the material - what is the channel condition of the deck? You could try timing the output of the FCP in to the deck???

Return to posts index

Thom Obarski
on Jan 21, 2011 at 8:45:15 pm

I switched to an sd ref from blackburst and that worked for a 30 seconds spot that we were doing; now today I'm trying to lay off the full feature and am again getting stuttering, even with the same settings as when we did the promo; makes me want to pull my hair out.

Return to posts index

Thom Obarski
on Jan 21, 2011 at 11:50:06 pm

Also looks like some sort of timecode thing going on; monitoring from my timeline it reads the file as DF and timecode matches timeline timecode perfectlly; then i write to tape which is also setup as DF; but monitoring off of there the decoder is reading the timecode data as still DF but is a little off; kinda hard to tell since TC data goes away in the decoder if you don't have an active stream, don't know if it's the delay processing from the tape; also getting pure silence now.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]