FORUMS: list search recent posts

capture keeps stopping and sarting again, every 12 or 13 seconds

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jason morton
capture keeps stopping and sarting again, every 12 or 13 seconds
on Jan 15, 2011 at 11:03:55 am

Hello. I'm having my rushes captured off site at a post house, and they are having a bit of trouble that they have never encountered before. The capture keeps keep stopping every 12 or 13 seconds, pre-rolling and then continues, so you end up with about forty odd clips for one 40 minute tape. (the rushes were shot on Sony F900 cameras, three separate crews, so everything is HDCAM 1920x1080p 25fps) They have checked the tapes LTC, VITC and CTRL and everything is outputting fine. Plus the error log on the VTR, so no problems with the tapes. They have tried different cables, RS422 remote, BNC's etc. They have house Black and burst, going to the VTR (Sony Betacam SRW-5800) and the capture card (black magic, Decklink Studio, i think) I have always used Kona products and have never encountered any problems like this while capturing, could it be the Decklink?
very confused, any ideas?

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
Re: capture keeps stopping and sarting again, every 12 or 13 seconds
on Jan 15, 2011 at 1:50:41 pm

Are they using the right control protocol in FCP? Are the decklink drivers up to date?

Are they using capture batch or just capture now?

Does the FCP say 'locating timecode break' when it prerolls?

If time is pressing, use capture now to get this material in - if this does not work with timecode, you could set the system to 'non-controllable device' - and re-stripe the clips or sync in FCP manually. Note - if setting to 'non-control' does solve the issue, it's probably the deck control setting that's wrong. But then - this is a post-house, right?

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

jason morton
on Jan 15, 2011 at 3:17:35 pm

Hello Ben,
I don't have all these answers a the moment, but yes they are using capture now with Timecode, (source TC in necessary as it is all time of day code across three cameras)Not sure about what is being said on the the preroll or the driver updates and remote and yes it is a post house, so I'm presuming they would be across all this, but never presume anything, i guess. The guy i spoke to has been there for five years looking after capture on all the FCP's, and has never encountered this problem. I'm a bit puzzled to be honest. I'm going down there Monday to investigate myself. Just thought i would get some advice before then.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 15, 2011 at 7:48:00 pm

Capture now on TOD TC? Yeah, that's going to be tough.

Careful log and transfer is going to be the way to go.

Return to posts index

Jeffrey Di Lullo
on Jan 17, 2011 at 12:16:20 am

Jumping off what Jeremy said. FCP does not do well with TC that isn't contiguous, i.e. TOD TC. Let's say a shot ends at 09:24:12;15 (TOD) and the next shot starts at 09:24:13;01 FCP will consider this a TC break even though there is continuous TC and no actual break. FCP isn't all that smart sometimes.

One way to help this is to set your VTR pre-roll way down to something like 1 sec. (though this "could" introduce other issues) and use Log and Capture, as was mentioned earlier. And also make sure not to set your In's and Out's too close to the "breaks".

Hope this helps.

jd

Jeffrey Di Lullo
jeffedits.com

Return to posts index

jason morton
on Jan 17, 2011 at 10:41:52 am

Hello Jeffrey, thanks for responding. Will try log and capture. However the capture is stopping every 10 or 12 seconds during continuous code, not just on a TC change, which is expected. Might have to capture with no TC and generate new code in FCP worst case scenario. Annoying

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]