FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with importing HDV tape footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shawn Hermsen
Problems with importing HDV tape footage
on Jan 14, 2011 at 7:50:39 pm

Hi All,

I digitized footage from a Panasonic HDV tape for a video that will be put up on the web for educational purposes. Upon importing, All files were ok with the exception of 2 clips. Both clips seem to drop 4 sec. 15 frames of video and audio. I have tried batch capture and capture now.I have tried to restart the computer and final cut pro.
I have tried to import as DVCPRO50-HD but it still wont work.

I am using a HDV tape deck hooked up via firewire. My device control preset is HDV firewire. My capture preset is HDV. I am using Final Cut Pro 7.0.3

If anyone has any helpful hints or tips, I would gladly appreciate to hear them.

Thanks,
Shawn

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Problems with importing HDV tape footage
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:05:06 pm

[Shawn Hermsen] "I have tried to import as DVCPRO50-HD but it still wont work."

There's no such format... DVCPro50 is SD (i.e. standard definition all the time).

HDV requires preroll, and it's not uncommon to lose several seconds at the head of every shot if your cameraman was trying to be frugal by saving tape.

You might try dubbing to another tape with continuous timecode if your missing seconds are mission critical.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2011 at 8:36:17 pm

ANd Panasonic doesn't make an HDV camera.

If this is a Panasonic camera, which one? If this is DVCPRO 50...then you need to choose a DV/50 Easy setup.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shawn Hermsen
on Jan 17, 2011 at 2:00:25 pm

Sorry about the misunderstanding. The format I tried was DVCPRO HD - 720p30 48 kHz. The tape is a panasonic but the camera is was shot on was a JVC, but not sure what model exactly. It is not a pre-roll issue. The issue is in the middle of a sentence the video/audio drops for 4sec/15frames. The deck is still reading timecode and the playback from tape is fine. I just can't get final cut to import that short segment.
Thank you for your responses, please, if you have any other comments let me know.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 17, 2011 at 11:17:37 pm

If you shot with a JVC camera, you need to use a JVC camera or deck (HDV camera or deck) to play it back. And you need to choose the HDV 720p setting, as that is the format it shoots. Not 1080. And it is NOT DVCPRO HD. That is a pansonic format that doesn't come on those small tapes. Larger tapes, and shot with the VARICAM. That isn't the format you shot, so you can't capture to it.

HDV 720p...using the camera it was shot with to play it back.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]