FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hardware/Software Upres

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Davis
Hardware/Software Upres
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:23:35 pm

We have a 30min show shot on the HVX200 edited DVCPROHD 720p60.

Client needs 1920x1080 29.97 files for broadcast. We have a Matrox MXO2 and a black magic Decklink Extreme (for our resolve system) for i/o cards. I wish we had a Kona 3.

1. Upres - I've struggled with matrox and blackmagic customer support to explain how to do an upres out of their cards, they aren't as knowledgeable as AJA. I can't find and manual explaining. I know a hardware upres is better than a software, but can't seem to nail this down and I'm getting desperate.

2. Frame rate conversion - what is the best way to do 23.98 to 29.97 conversion either with the MXO2 or Declink Extreme? Would an after effects conversion be horrible?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Hardware/Software Upres
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:51:50 pm

Perhaps I misundertand, but I have the Matrox MXO2 and it's by far pretty self explanatory. In the Matrox System Preferences Panel,( located under Other in your computers system preferences) choose "video output." From there choose the resolution you want to output as well as other options like center cut, letterbox, etc.

AJA achieves the same thing with a more complicated panel IMO :) And I assume blackmagic is similar.

Are you trying to use the box to upres a file to another file? They don't do that. They uprez out to tape.

Return to posts index

Jeff Davis
on Jan 13, 2011 at 6:57:47 pm

I am hoping to output HD SDI to another deck. I see the video output option. Which of the 1080 options would I select? 1080 or 1080 59.94 from 23.98.

Can you do the 23.98 to 29.97 frame rate conversion on the matrox as well?

Thanks for the help.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:13:28 pm

I have the matrox mini, but it's 1080 output has always been 1080i (59.94 or 29.97 interlaced or whatever you want to call it). 59.94 at 1080 should mean 1080i 29.97. There's no 1080 60p option that I know of.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 13, 2011 at 7:08:05 pm

As well, uprez to from 30 from 24 should be simple enough with the matrox. By default it outputs 1080i for it's 1080 so it's adding the pulldown on the fly. I have the mxo2 mini, and working in a 720 24p project I have the matrox up rez it to 1080 on output for my monitor. The monitor registers 1080i as the signal both on HDMI in and Component in. Slap a deck on that signal and you're done.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 13, 2011 at 10:56:46 pm

Hi Jeff,
For Upres and Time base change, it seems that the definitive solution is Teranex.
I doubt that no one of the IO cards here mentioned will give you the quality you get with SHAKE.
No RT of course.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:05:44 pm

[Rafael Amador] "For Upres and Time base change, it seems that the definitive solution is Teranex."

or a kona 3 if you have no reason to own a teranex.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 14, 2011 at 12:01:20 am

Or a matrox which he has. A terranex isn't needed to simply add pulldown. Any home DVD player does that on the fly. It's just caching frames and interlacing them. And upscaling from 720 to 1080 is a pretty standard process.

Going from 30 to 24, now THAT is something you would need Shake or I guess Terranex for. Or compressor. Or AE, etc.

Return to posts index

Sam Cole
on Jan 13, 2011 at 11:10:57 pm

We have done many shows that have upres sections all using Blackmagic boxes and have never had rejects from international QC.

Sam Cole
On line Mastering Facility
FCP, Avid, Adobe
Sydney, Australia

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]