FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Screen capture from PC on FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Harger
Video Screen capture from PC on FCP
on Jan 12, 2011 at 8:50:05 pm

Hello,

I am having issues regarding which editing codec to use, as well as what kind of output to use in Compressor.

My content is a video screen capture from a PC output to WMV or AVI.

For WMV the video is 1024x768 at 29.97fps.

For AVI the video is also 1024x768 at 30fps.

I have been using ProRes 422 for editing at 640x480 to allow room for zoom, with DECENT results.

From there, I export the reference movie and open with Compressor.

I export to h264 640x480, 30fps for online streaming with a fairly high bandwith rate (1500k), and like I said previously, DECENT results. The text looks OK when it is zoomed, but for the most part I am getting this horrible grainy look on any solid colors, and sometimes parts of the text are reaaaaly blurry and at times text segments completely disseapear.

I have tried viewing the output movies exported to .MOV (prores 422) and it looks amazing, however I cannot have customers downloading 500mb files for a 2 minute video.

I need the video to be very high quality as these videos are being used to train customers on our software, and they need to be able to read the text on the screen.

Any suggestions for preferences/codecs I should change or be using?

Return to posts index

Michael Harger
Re: Video Screen capture from PC on FCP
on Jan 24, 2011 at 5:16:40 pm

I am still having issues. It seems all my original text is extremely blurred, and sometimes, the blurriness will subside while it is sitting still (not a single frame, but a still portion of the video capture)
Also I am having issues whenever FCP is doing a zoom, or changing the center of the video. Very jerky, jagged edges, nothing looks crisp.

I know I am trying to make the Mac be friends with the PC, which will never happen; I'm just curious, how come everyone else's training videos look so nice compared to mine? Even streaming videos on YouTube, there are 14-year olds doing it better than I am, with only a $500 PC and free editing software.

Return to posts index

Michael Harger
Re: Video Screen capture from PC on FCP
on Jan 24, 2011 at 7:06:43 pm

Well I have not gotten any answers yet, but I believe I have answered my question.

The result:

Stop encoding video in WMV format.

Stop encoding in AVI format.

Encode in MOV format using Quicktime Pro 7 for PC.

Result: No more conversion to editing codec. Stay in original codec. Export to h264 stream using Compressor. -$29.99 well worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]