FORUMS: list search recent posts

GarageBand/Final Cut Sync Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Harbridge
GarageBand/Final Cut Sync Issue
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:48:55 pm

I recently recorded a concert, a 4 camera shoot with master audio being recorded using a microphone into GarageBand. Video was shot XDCAM EX 720p30, with audio on the cameras recording at 16 bit 48.0 kHz.

No matter how I export the audio master from Garageband I can not maintain sync in Final Cut Pro with the video. I have it synced at one point but shortly before or after it looses sync. I've exported at 48 khz-MP3, 44.1 Mp4-then converted to AIFF 48 Khz using ITunes, etc, etc. No matter how I what format I export from GarageBand I can't achieve a consistent sync.

Does it have anything to do with my Sequence settings in Final Cut? I have them set-up to match the video in all aspects. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
Re: GarageBand/Final Cut Sync Issue
on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:45:10 pm

One thing you could try is making a copy of the preset you are using, and changing the audio rate from 48 khz to 44.1 and see if it stays in sync.

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:53:11 pm

Forgot to mention, if you are saving a mp3 out of GB, you can export via Share>Export Song to Disk and uncheck the Compress box and it will save an aif.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 13, 2011 at 12:35:05 am

If you recorded PCM 16bit 48khz in Garage Band, then you export 16bit 48khz PCM aif files to import into FCP. Do not change sample rate to 44.1khz and do not compress the audio to mp3 or aac unless you want to degrade the quality and have sync issues.

Before you import the files into FCP you should read this tutorial (second half) as it explains how to setup your default project in FCP to match the project settings you are working on.

http://library.creativecow.net/lyon_matt/fixing-fcp-assets/1

FCP foolishly sets a frame rate on an audio file based on your default project rather than the current working project. Don't ask why, but feel free to send a nice request to Apple to change this methodology because this forum gets sync questions like this every day because Apple software techs made a big mistake and I am a bit over it.

Return to posts index

Dave Bergan
on Jan 13, 2011 at 3:48:58 am

The highest GB exports is 44.1 khz, it doesn't export 48.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 13, 2011 at 9:27:09 pm

[Dave Bergan] "The highest GB exports is 44.1 khz, it doesn't export 48."

In that case, I wouldn't use it to record anything that has to sync to video. 48khz is the standard for video and editing software like FCP should have all its audio assets uncompressed and 48khz.

The 44.1khz audio from Garage Band will have to be converted to aif 16 bit 48khz before importing and syncing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]