FORUMS: list search recent posts

Moving up to HD

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Breidbart
Moving up to HD
on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:44:54 pm

I'm running a MacPro 2 x 2.66 dual core Intel, w 8gigs of ram & FCS 2 . It's time
for a new HD camcorder . I've read a lot of good reviews about Panasonics TM700
but have some questions that this forum might be able to answer. The TM700
can record full HD 1080/60P, very impressive untill you want to edit in FCP6.
I've read that someone has used "ClipWrap" to rewrap to a quicktime file, I suppose FCP would like to see a Pro Res file.Does anyone have a good experience with ClipWrap ?
I've read this camera records 1080/24P , but in the small fine
print it says that 24P is converted & recorded as 60i , I'm a little confused, what gives ?
My last question, I need to do a little more research but this camera records to SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards, but I don't see what class card they are looking for, no sence paying more if it's not needed ?

I know it's a lot to ask,

thanls in advance

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Moving up to HD
on Jan 12, 2011 at 2:09:43 pm

i think you should be good with class 6. look for deals. prices coming down. go with major brands. read reviews. some have more failure rates than others. sandisks are good.

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Jan 12, 2011 at 7:03:53 pm

thanks,
I'm learning about read & write speeds, but right now they are just numbers to me.
I've got nothing to compair what a 20mb/s cards speed really means.

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:17:00 pm

Transcend Class 6 works for me. This camera has a lot of nice features. There are few problems I have have with it though. Firstly, I really don't like the 60p. The motion is a lot different than what you are used to. It kinda makes me sick. You feel like you can pan much faster because there us less blur. But when you watch it on tv it looks very unnatural. I've completely abandoned 60p. It will save you in post as well.
The second thing is the shot stabilizer. It's very herky-jerky and again unnatural. A lot of harsh corrections. When you pan and come to a stop the camera will keep panning a little, then jerk back. And you can't turn it off.

I would probably go with something a little more proven if I had to do it again. But at least I only use it when I can't use the big camera!

Return to posts index

Cade Muhlig
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:29:47 pm

And I never seen anything about 24p unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:51:37 pm

[Bruce Breidbart] "I've read this camera records 1080/24P , but in the small fine
print it says that 24P is converted & recorded as 60i , I'm a little confused, what gives ?"

It's the classic 3:2 pulldown, which has been used to show movies on TV ever since they started showing movies on TV.

To avoid massive problems and the necessity to re-do your work later in the production process, the pulldown MUST be removed BEFORE editing begins. In some workflows this takes place as the footage is ingested, and in others it takes place after capture. In either case, it's essential to remove the pulldown from 24p 1080 footage and get it to a 23.976 (aka 23.98) frame rate.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:48:24 pm

" In either case, it's essential to remove the pulldown from 24p 1080 footage and get it to a 23.976 (aka 23.98) frame rate"

Could you please explain why ?

thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:50:23 pm

[Bruce Breidbart] "Could you please explain why ?"

Go look up the topic of 24p on Ken Stone's Final Cut Pro site for that answer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Bruce Breidbart
on Jan 12, 2011 at 6:53:42 pm

heading there right now.

thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved