FORUMS: list search recent posts

qmaster 12-core settings?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Kapleton
qmaster 12-core settings?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:09:02 pm

I am trying a cluster for the first time and I am curious about a few things. on my new 12 core mac pro (32gb ram) what the sweet spot is. I have used compressor cluster on 8 cores for a few years of post work but I am curious as to what te sweet spot is ( i.e. recommended settings for optimal performance). how many cores to use?

I just did a test setting qmaster to use all 24 cores and right off the bat I notice a problem in the save to folder there are not multiple iterations of that file I used to seeing this when using a cluster. shouldn't I be seeing 24 of these files that will all come together at the end of processing?
Lastly I notice at the top of qmaster it says 32 bit but isn't my system 64bit?
thank you

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
Re: qmaster 12-core settings?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:13:58 pm

You use about half the amount of cores you have (hyperthreaded included). Your new mac pro has 12 cores, which hyperthread to make 24 virtual cores, so set qmaster to use 12. What you are seeing with more than one movie appearing in the folder is essentially each core separately rendering a part of the movie, and then it pieces it together at the end, so don't worry about that. The reason it days 32 bit at the top is because all of the final cut studio, compressor and qmaster included, is 32bit. Unfortunately your 64 bit system is of little use with those proapps as yet- which is why there's a lot of jittering on here about the next revision of the final cut studio hopefully being 64 bit, which especially with these newer hardware systems should improve speed a lot.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: qmaster 12-core settings?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:48:50 pm

might also try setting your cluster to 10 and see if it gives you an edge. generally, leaving 2 physical cores available is optimal with compressor and after effects multi-core rendering.

are you seeing multiple sections of the video being encoded in batch monitor?

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
12 core qmaster sweet spot
on Jan 11, 2011 at 11:00:40 pm

thanks for the reply guys.
chris I think u better addressed my question which is why I am not seeing the multiple instances and what the optimal settings are for core settings. right now it says 24 instances and I have it set as I always have in past cluster use on 8cores. so you recommend setting that to 20 (10 of 12 cores?) This is the first time I have tried using a cluster on my new 12 core so I am trying to figure out what is wrong - all setting seem correct and this is a brand new fully up to date 12-core.

I fully understand what the multiple copies means, no confusion about threading. I am saying I did NOT see that happen when I sent the batch even tho it's set to use all 24 threads. if I am not running any other apps should i still have it set to use 10 of my cores?
thank you for your time and look forward to your thoughts
sean

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: 12 core qmaster sweet spot
on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:24:01 am

[Sean Kapleton] "I am saying I did NOT see that happen when I sent the batch even tho it's set to use all 24 threads."

Did you submit the job to your quick cluster, or did you submit it to This Computer? Compressor does not default to submitting to a cluster.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:35:06 am

yes of course - i did everything like i have always done in using compressor & qmaster cluster...

just switched it so it says 20 threads and resent the job - so far i seem only a .m4v-1 but no others??

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:52:50 am

[Sean Kapleton] "just switched it so it says 20 threads and resent the job - so far i seem only a .m4v-1 but no others?"

What does Batch Monitor / Activity Monitor show? Do multiple threads seem to be working?

Is "Allow job segmenting" checked in the Encoder tab of your Compressor preset?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:01:16 am

yes i checked activity monitor and batch and both dont show multiple threads. i tried resetting background processes, went thru all the settings and then just checked the allow job segmenting tab - i am using the apple default iphone 640 setting so i expected that to be on anyways...cant find any reason for this not working?!

thanks for the follow up...not sure what else to do : (

Return to posts index

Sean Kapleton
on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:08:38 am

so this is the batch monitor and activity monitor right now - set to use 20 threads and in the save destination folder i see only one file working as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]