FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please listen to this audio: How can I fix it?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
Please listen to this audio: How can I fix it?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:20:12 pm

Folks,

I recorded an interview with an old vx1000. There is a problem in the audio, and I wonder if there is a filter in fcp or some other way to fix this. I don't have a lot of experience with audio. How should I proceed?
The audio, a very short sample, is here..

Thanks for any and all help.
DMCG

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Please listen to this audio: How can I fix it?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:08:24 pm

That's the sound of overmodulated audio. It was recorded at too high an audio level. Think of having the audio inputs on the camera set to mic level, but the output of the mic is set to line level.

It's the audio equivalent of shooting highly-overexposed video. Just as there is no detail in blown-out areas of video, there is no modulation in the areas of overmodulated audio -- there's just a flat line at the top of the audio waveform.

Sorry, but there really isn't any good way to fix it. You can drop the video level on blown-out video, but the result will look flat and featureless. You can drop the audio level, but there still won't be any modulation in the waveform.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on Jan 11, 2011 at 8:55:26 pm

That is strange - the waveform does not look overmodulated in the timeline. When I listened on headphones when recording, it wasn't louder than normal. and the speech levels, when put opposite good sounding audio from other sources, isn't any louder. Also, the camera automatically adjusts audio input - auto setting.
DAN

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:31:42 pm

That's JUST what you'd expect if there was a mismatch in mic/line level. I'd go check that gear to make sure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Frank Nolan
on Jan 12, 2011 at 5:21:53 am

Your problem could be due to the bit rate and sample rate of the original tape being at 12 bit and 32khz. If you captured via firewire and put it in a 16 bit 48 khz session you may need to render all the audio or better still do a batch convert to match the session settings

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]