FORUMS: list search recent posts

Editing in FCP 30p having to render raw footage?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Megan Gaddini
Editing in FCP 30p having to render raw footage?
on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:20:05 pm

This is my first time editing in Final Cut Pro when I have shot in Standard Definition at 30p. I have captured the files correctly and I am using the right settings for my timeline. Is it normal to put a clip into the timeline and have to render it right away? And every time I move a clip or make an edit, I'll have to render? Is this because I shot in 30p? I'm used to shooting and editing in 60i so this is a little new to me. I've never had to render footage that I haven't added any effects on and just want to know if I'm doing anything wrong?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Editing in FCP 30p having to render raw footage?
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:11:33 pm

Megan,

Though you say that your sequence settings match your video, I tend to =find that doubtful given the constant rendering you're dealing with. I would suggest opening a new sequence, dropping a clip onto the timeline, and letting FCP match the seq. settings to the clip. Sometimes manually doing it yourself can create a miss somewhere.

Once you've properly set the seq. using the above method, try to copy and paste the clips you've previously edited into the new timeline and you should not have the issue any longer.

If you do, then let us know...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Megan Gaddini
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:41:28 am

I've figured it out but when I copy and paste my edited footage from the bad sequence into the correct one, all the clips have changed it's size and are smaller. (Black on both the right and left sides) Is that normal? Do I just have to change the dimensions of each clip?

Megan

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:57:54 am

That is normal...and all you need to do is highlight all the footage, and right-click and choose REMOVE ATTRIBUTES>Basic Motion and Distort.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 10, 2011 at 11:46:21 pm

#28 Having to render every clip in the timeline

Shane's Stock Answer #28: When I put a clip in the timline, I have to render it before it will play. Why?

Your clip settings MUST match your timeline settings. If you have DV/NTSC material, you need a DV/NTSC timeline. The frame rate, audio rate and dimensions (4:3, 16:9) all need to match exactly. In Final Cut Pro 6, this is easy, because when you drop a clip into the timeline, it asks if you want to set up the timeline to match the settings of the first clip you drag into it. Click YES and you are ready to go.

However, in FCP 5.1 and earlier, it is a bit trickier.

The most important thing you need to do is properly set up your project from the start, and the best way to do this is to choose a setting from the Easy Setups, located under the Final Cut Pro menu.

Once you do this, you’ll need to create a new sequence. This is because the sequence that is already in your new project is setup for the typical default setting of DV/NTSC, or for the settings of your last project, which might not match what you are currently working with. So delete SEQUENCE 1 and create a new sequence:

This new sequence will contain the settings you chose in the Easy Setup menu, and should match the format you captured.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Megan Gaddini
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:38:07 am

Thanks I figured it out. Somehow I had set everything up correctly when capturing but I took a small break from editing during Christmas and New Years and when I started up my project again and added a new sequence, my previous settings for my sequence had changed. My original sequence was fine, but the new one just didn't have the right settings.

Megan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]