FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best current capture card...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Yurii Hydrick
Best current capture card...
on Jan 10, 2011 at 8:13:29 pm

I'm relatively new in the editing industry (about 4 years), but two of those years I wasn't actively editing because I went back to school. I'm currently an editor for a production company in Utah.

I'm wanting to build a good little editing suit at my home, but I want to be sure to research all of my purchases well before I buy anything. The things I'm most concerned about are a good capture card (I know Kona used to be good), a respectable monitor for good color reproduction, and the best approach to a storage solution.

I know where I can go to research these things... but I just wanted some feedback from those who have had hands on, eyewitness, experience to the most current products available. I really appreciate any feedback.

Best,

Yurii

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Best current capture card...
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:13:16 pm

[Yurii Hydrick] "The things I'm most concerned about are a good capture card (I know Kona used to be good), a respectable monitor for good color reproduction, and the best approach to a storage solution."

AJA Kona is still the best in the business.

Good low cost monitor is the Flanders Scientific 1760 or 1770W. Their banners are right here in this forum.

A really nice storage solution is the WeibeTech RTX series. These are trayless enclosures of 1 to 8 drives. You can literally go down to an electronics store and purchase whatever 1 or 2TB Drives you want, put them in the array, format and start editing. http://www.weibetech.com

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 10, 2011 at 9:46:22 pm

Kona is the best mainly because of tech support. World class...if anything goes wrong, at any time, they'll troubleshoot it, and if they can't fix it, they'll replace it...all on their dime. ANd fast. Just know that you pay for this...the hardware is a tad more expensive than the competition. But it is for piece of mind.

And because they update their hardware with software updates that are free....the same hardware, constantly changing, with free firmware updates.

I also am a big fan of Matrox...because the MXO2 does stuff for me that only parts of the Kona 3 and LHi do...it combines features I need. The Kona 3 is SDI input only. Analog output, but digital in only. The LHi does analog in and out, but only does 8 channels of embedded audio via SDI, and only has one SDI output. To get what I want, I need the Kona 3 and a mini converter. I need SDI in, analog input (cause I work with a lot of archival footage)...hardware upconversion (All the cards now offer this)...and then I need two SDI outputs (one for monitor, one for deck)...and I need 16 channels of embedded audio.

I am a big fan of the AJA products and the Matrox products. But AJA remains the top due to the tech support. You get what you pay for. And in a lot of cases, it is worth it.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Yurii Hydrick
on Jan 10, 2011 at 10:21:33 pm

Thank you, both, for your feedback. I'm going to give some extra consideration to your suggestions as I continue my research. Thanks again.

Best,

Yurii

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]