FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVCam capture audio dropping

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bittl
DVCam capture audio dropping
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:11:44 pm

I'm capturing footage from 7 year old DVCam tapes filmed PAL. The director doesn't remember if she filmed PAL or NTSC or what bitrate/khz audio she recorded. The video is perfect, and there is no audio/video sync issue. However, some clips drop audio. It crackles and pops, goes in and out. Some other clips capture perfectly. Could this be a khz/bitrate problem? Or could the audio be corrupted on the tapes due to shelf life issues?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: DVCam capture audio dropping
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:53:47 pm

Is this while your digitizing? Listening then?
OR
When you play a clip back in the timeline?

Are you loading footage in via Firewire or a Analog card?

Once captured what does the browser say for the clip audio properties?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

James Bittl
on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:45:33 pm

This is while digitizing, but the audio inconsistencies play back in the timeline as well. I'm loading through firewire. The audio properties are whatever the capture presets are: 48khz, 16 bit, 2 channel audio (either stereo or mono).

I first tried it off a clamshell, but have had more success with a DVCam deck hooked up to a little monitor and capturing through iMovie HD...audio inconsistencies are still there though. Again, some tapes are perfect, and some drop audio. Hmm...

Thanks for your response.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:14:10 am

Well, A lot of times you'll here audio dropouts when monitoring capture thru firewire. After clips are loaded they should play fine.

Do you have any audio control on the deck?
How does the tape sound playing in cam or off deck when NOT capturing?

If it's fine then you know you have good audio on tape.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:40:12 am

Can you connect the DVCAM deck directly to a monitor and speakers?

Does the audio dropout play there?

You said you have 7 year old DVCAM tapes. DV / DVCAM has some of the worst dropout issues of all the tape formats out there as they grow older.

Also, have you had your DV machine cleaned recently? I have all my VTRs cleaned once a year at least.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

James Bittl
on Jan 8, 2011 at 6:11:04 pm

Unfortunately, when I play the tapes just in the deck, the audio is fine (except for cellphone interference when one of the subjects gets a call, there's the usual interference). So this must be a capturing issue...

I've just tried capturing with iMovie, and the dropout issues happen in all the same places as if the tape is messed up.

Would the tape deck just not pick up these dropouts until digitized? Or would I be able to hear the dropouts straight from the tape deck?

Would it be worthwhile trying capture presets at 32khz and 12-bit? Or wouldn't iMovie already recognize whether the audio was recorded at 32khz or 48khz?

Thanks again for helping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]