FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes Quicktime Export - Original width/height differs to width/height in MediaInfo

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Klaas Byl
ProRes Quicktime Export - Original width/height differs to width/height in MediaInfo
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:10:43 pm

Hi,

i got a big problem exporting my HD-ProRes quicktime file.
I got a sequence with my HD ProRes(HQ), 1080P 24FPS with 8 tracks audio(surround+stereo mix) which i need to export.
I would like to choose the "export>quicktime-movie" and use my sequence settings which are alright but when i use this setting and i'm opening up the exported file in "MediaInfo", the app tells me that i got a different framesize:
Width : 1 888 pixels
Original width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 062 pixels
Original height : 1 080 pixels

If I export the sequence via "export>quicktime convert" and use the "1920 x 1080 HD" Preset everything is fine and Mediainfo tells me just:
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels

Is there anyone out here who knows how to fix that?

Thanks and best,
Klaas

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: ProRes Quicktime Export - Original width/height differs to width/height in MediaInfo
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:20:26 pm

[Klaas Byl] "i got a big problem exporting my HD-ProRes quicktime file"

Why exactly do you think that the 20 missing pixels is a "big Problem?"

Oops, I should have said "36 missing pixels"...

In any case, a great deal of footage right out of the many cameras is in fact 1888x1062. I would hazard a guess that your dailies on your project came in exactly that way. So, if you're going to check everything with the MediaInfo app, do just that, check it all...

Hope this helps you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: ProRes Quicktime Export - Original width/height differs to width/height in MediaInfo
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:39:30 pm

[Klaas Byl] "I would like to choose the "export>quicktime-movie" and use my sequence settings which are alright but when i use this setting and i'm opening up the exported file in "MediaInfo", the app tells me that i got a different framesize:
Width : 1 888 pixels
Original width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 062 pixels
Original height : 1 080 pixels"

No worries, your video is fine. I bet if you reimport that video in to FCP it will say it's 1920x1080.

This is a feature that QT started adding called clean aperture. It helps with anamorphic formats and Sd movies where you want to crop the overscan (that is display a 720x486 movie as 640x480). Want it fixed? Open your movie in QT7. Hit command-j to bring up properties, click the presentation tab and choose the "Conform aperture to" box and choose Production from the drop down. Viola, 1920x1080 displayed in QT.

So, keep exporting like you have been, don't use QT conversion cause that sucks, for lack of a more politically correct term.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 7, 2011 at 4:43:20 pm

Quicktime conforms some media to the "clean aperture" -- an area of video which is supposed to be free of edge encoding artifacts -- by default. All your pixels are in the file, but you'll have to manually set Quicktime to display them.

FCP, along with every other professional application I know, uses the full production aperture by default. The clean aperture is generally for display purposes only. It's confusing, but there's no cause for alarm.

See this Apple tech note for more:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4265

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:45:47 am

Hi David, Jeremy and Walter,

thanks for your help. One of our customer wants me to encode this in 1920x1080 cause they use these files for their VoD delivery. The got some apps that get confused with these data of 1888x1062.

Jeremy, your trick with QT7 is not working for me. If i set the aperture to "production", mediinfo also tells me 1888x1062 :( ...

this really sucks 'cause i've about 80 HDCam SR to digitize and deliver via ProRes Quicktime, I thought abaout just digitize them and export via batch out of FCP. But if i have to use the quicktime conversion option my audio tracks won't be in the right order...

thanks all of you for spending your time on my problem.
best, klaas

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 8, 2011 at 2:25:34 pm

If you Reimport your export does it say 1920x1080 in FCP?

If yes, then run the file through compressor (set audio to pass through) and make sure to uncheck the clean aperture box. I am not by a machine right now but I think it's under the second tab. Make sure your codec and frame rate are the same, and again, audio at passthrough.

This shouldn't be happening. What system do they have?

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Jan 9, 2011 at 6:18:30 pm

Hi Jeremy,

thanks for your help.
"audio at passthrough" in compressor isn't working, don't know why. Even if i activate it(set the drop down menu in the secon tab to "passthrough"), and in the information tab tells me that he'll do a passthrough(8-channels, 32-bit, 48kHz), it encodes me a 7.1 track.
But it's right, if i uncheck the "clean aperture" box it's no longer included in my file but my audio still sucks, i need 8 Tracks, 1-6 set to mono and 7+8 as a stereo track(thats what i already manage inside FCP)or at least 8-mono tracks.
There's no option to get my 8 audio tracks separately. Why?

I'm capturing the HDCam SR via Blackmagic's Media Express, which works fine(It does not include this "clean aperture" thing) the only problem is the audio tracks. It creates one audio track inside the QT file including the whole 8-tracks. If it would be possible to change that and get 8 separate mono tracks out of it, i would be happy at all.

I don't know which system they use and why it's a big deal with the aperture thing. They are using the itunes store specs(for input) which provide the same.(BTW, It's a bit paradox that there are these itunes specs which can't be done with my apple hard- and software :D )

Thanks for your support, i think i go insane :(
If i fix one problem, there is still a different thing that can't be done :( ...

Thanks and best,
Klaas

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Jan 9, 2011 at 8:17:17 pm

Hi Jeremy,

you're right. I did not read your post exactly. You wrote that i should reimport the via File > Export > QuickTime Movie exported file into compressor. I allways tried to send the file with a sequence to compressor which did'nt work as describe by apple in this article:
http://documentation.apple.com/en/compressor/usermanual/index.html#chapter=...

as a small "NOTE": If you export a sequence from Final Cut Pro to Compressor (File > Export > Using Compressor) and apply a setting with “Pass-through” selected, the audio portion of the setting will change to a PCM setting with the sequence’s setting and channel count, but with only a single track created on output. If you require audio passthrough for a Final Cut Pro sequence, export a QuickTime movie (File > Export > QuickTime Movie) and then import the movie into Compressor.

thanks for your help. Know everything is running and i'm on my way trough the 80 HDCams...

Thanks and best,
Klaas

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:00:42 pm

[Klaas Byl] "You wrote that i should reimport the via File > Export > QuickTime Movie exported file into compressor. I allways tried to send the file with a sequence to compressor which did'nt work as describe by apple in this article:"

I never send to Compressor, always export out of FCP and then import to Compressor. First of all, you can run a virtual cluster that way, and as you have found when things gets more complicated, it works better.

:)

Glad you're up and running.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Sharif Khan
on Feb 24, 2011 at 12:57:04 pm

I was recently having a similar issue, but we seem to have found a solution. JES Extensifier http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/jesextensifier.html will edit the individual atoms (i.e. - remove CLAP instantly without using compressor), and it batches.

Return to posts index

Klaas Byl
on Feb 24, 2011 at 1:09:28 pm

Hi,

Sorry, i already use Jes Extensifier. It's a good tool to edit flags like that. It's cool to do batches with folders and just edit and save own presets.

Thanks for your reply.

best,
Klaas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]