FORUMS: list search recent posts

What program would be used to produce this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Lynch
What program would be used to produce this?
on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:54:49 pm

http://whoknew.news.yahoo.com/?nc&vid=23751722

MacPro 3.0GHz 8 Core - 12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870; FCS3; AE; CS4

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: What program would be used to produce this?
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:00:48 pm

After Effects, Combustion, Motion, Nuke, Shake, Flame, Smoke, etc.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:02:24 pm

Ain't nothin' I saw in theat clip that couldn't be done in After Effects. Not a single thing. I don't know beans about Motion, however.

The Good Mr. Weiss also mentions other more capable and higher-priced solutions as well, all equally up to the task.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:37:21 pm

I would be suprised (having done similar motion text work) if that was done in anything other than After Effects - although I suppose if someone had Shake/Nuke/whatever in-house, it could have been done on any of them.

Clearly, however, AE is the cheapest and mostly widely used for this sort of work - as well as being one of the quickest and easiest.

Nice work though - good flow and design, and plenty of skill in the execution.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:02:12 pm

Speaking as a graphics guy who uses Motion and AE, it can be done in both programs. There is not a thing in that video that can't be done in Motion. Plus, a clean design like that would play back in real time. Hope that is the type of information you are looking for. Plus, have fun working on that project.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Motion Tutorials

Return to posts index

Michael Lynch
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:15:39 pm

Stephen - I have your "Graphics and Effects" DVD and it was so helpful and your instruction method so easy to follow that I ordered Moving With Motion DVD - just came in the other day. Haven't had a chance to open it yet but it might hold some secrets for me.

Thanks to all who replied - at least I now know to go with an effects program rather than trying to duplicate in FCP.

MacPro 3.0GHz 8 Core - 12GB RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4870; FCS3; AE; CS4

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:23:14 pm

Michael,
Thanks for the kind words and for supporting the COW. Feel free to ask any questions in the Motion forum if you get stuck on creating the similar effect you showed in the sample. Best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
question for stephen smith
on Jan 11, 2011 at 1:59:32 am

Hey Stephen. I need your help. When you apply a video filter>QuickTime>lens flare. What are you supposed to put in the flare map? Also. When using the generators >lens flare What goes in the streak map?

Thank you for your help.
Bobby

BTW I bought two of your DVDs.

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Jan 11, 2011 at 2:06:46 pm

I'm sorry it should say Flare Type for the video filter > quicktime > lens flare.

What should I put there?

-Bobby

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 11, 2011 at 2:42:30 pm

I like working with the Lens Flare in Motion better: Library, Generators, Lens Flare. For example, it adds an Add blend mode by default. The Streaks are better positioned. If you want a more serious lens flare I recommend getting a 3rd party plug-in. The FCP / Motion Lens Flare is limited in what it can do. As for the Streak Map, which is an image well that displays a thumbnail of the map chosen for the streaks of the lens flare. You can place the clip the lens flare is over in that well. It will change the pattern of the streaks and animate it based on what is in the clip, be careful using this. Take a look at the image below to show the difference.

Hope this helps and best of luck.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

Robert Bracken
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:32:56 pm

Thank you Stephen for your reply.

Can you please tell me how to get the long range of flare. (Is that the right term?) for the extended flare?

Like in this photo http://s1.hubimg.com/u/19768_f260.jpg

Look how it goes from the top right to the bottom left.

Thank you for your help,
Bobby

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
on Jan 11, 2011 at 3:50:36 pm

Sorry, this is where the built in filter is very limited. You will have to layer the lens flares to get that look like I did at the end of my Moving With Motion Commercial. I would take a look at Knoll Light Factory, it has a free trial so you can see if you like the Lens Flares it generates better.

Boris FX also has a Lens Flare plug-in called Contimuum Lens Flare. It has a free trial as well and looks like it is cheaper. Anyways, click on the two links and see which one you like the best. If you try them both please report back on which one you liked best and why.

Stephen Smith
Utah Video Productions

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]