FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frames Dropping on unrendered Text

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Holmes
Frames Dropping on unrendered Text
on Jan 6, 2011 at 11:08:09 am

Hi All

Here's a wierd one - never seen this before.

I'm working with a facility that runs 5 FCP suites on an Editshare. All suites are running FCP7. All systems run ProRes 422 at 1080i50, and are either 6 or 12-core, 2010 Mac Pros or 8-core 2009 models - can't remember. Recently all were upgraded to Snow Leopard and FCP 7.0.3.

Since then, all have exhibited the same problem: When you drop SIMPLE text (such as a placeholder for gfx, or temp subtitles) onto a timeline over another layer (this could be video or a slug) such that you get a green render bar, the system stutters terribly, and stops with dropped frames. It also behaves sluggish until the text is rendered, even when playing video elsewhere on the timeline on occasions. This text is not scaled, keyframed etc. - just default font text dropped onto a slug 'white on black' causes this.

None of this is explainable by system specs or storage speeds (the systems were fine before the upgrade). As they work a lot with temp subtitles for translation, it's a real problem. Their reseller has also been unable to suggest a solution (no suprise there then...).

Has anyone else seen this behaviour in Snow Leopard? I've not upgraded (I see no reason to yet, my systems are so stable) so can't compare it exactly on my own systems.

Any suggestions to try when I go up there next week appreciated.

Ben

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Frames Dropping on unrendered Text
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:08:54 pm

If the upgrade was done by pushing the "upgrade" button, and not performing a clean install, that could likely be the problem...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:16:14 pm

I don't believe so - instead, the systems all had NEW system drives installed by the reseller, then had Snow Leopard clean installed, the FCP clean installed. I assume that FCP was upgraded to 7.0.3 via an update package, as the edits are not on the internet. That last bit I will check.

Only oddity (if you like) is that the old system drives are still installed (in case there were any issues) - any chance drivers etc. on there are causing issues - clearly this drive is NOT now seen as the system drive by the Mac when it boots...

Appreciate the reply.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 6, 2011 at 4:34:31 pm

Ben,

It could be something as simple as either:

1) The factory default RT settings are incorrect

2) Fix permissions with Disk Utility was not run after the new install

I've seen both things cause excessive dropped frames after a brand new ground-up install.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jan 6, 2011 at 4:49:49 pm

David

Many thanks. As far as your advice goes:

1. Not RT settings - I checked them. At any rate, this is not RT behaviour as far as I see it, as the bar is green, and the systems still drop frames. Interested to hear if you have further insight on this.

2. I'll have to test this on Monday on a system - I was unwilling to take action without advice, as it was the systems integrators who did the update, and I don't want to make the situation worse (or be blamed for it). However, hard to see how checking disk permissions could do any harm.

I'm puzzled, as it specifically occurs on unrendered text - the're no media to access, and the system has no issue streaming ProRes to the edits - unless there is unrendered text on the timeline, when it drops frames.

Appreciate the advice, as ever.

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/casestudies/detail.asp?case=therydercup

Return to posts index

Jeremy Belzer-Adams
on Mar 7, 2012 at 8:39:15 pm

I'm having the same problem on 10.6.8. Have you found a solution?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]