FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keylight Issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
christina ricci
Keylight Issue
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:51:29 pm

Hi There,

I am struggling with green screen using keylight 2.0 in FCP. Below is screen shot of the details.

I cannot get a clean status view. I am getting green deposits in the white area that are showing in the final result as a shimmering black shirt with black spots on my teeth. I have read and reread the Foundry tutorials. My screen matte looks good and the green screen is pretty even so doesn't seem like this should be a difficult key.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Christina

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Keylight Issue
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:17:06 pm

I've encountered the same thing in Keylight In After Effects, and I've discovered it likes to work with a somewhat darker background. When you look at a waveform monitor, the background ought to be at about 65-75 units. Use the eyedropper to set the key color: take it from close to the subject.

When you light it more evenly -- it's hotter screen right and just behind the subject's head -- and remove the wrinkles in the chroma key background, you'll also have an easier time pulling the key. Think about using inner and outer masks if necessary, too.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Knapich
on Jan 6, 2011 at 2:53:02 pm

Like all efx there are many work arounds the more experienced you get. I am by no means a compositing expert, but one trick I picked up (used in FCP and AE) is to set the screen replace to source - this way keylight is not filling in green spill - then using Magic Bullet Key Correct Pro plugin to suppress green.
Of course this is an addt expense. Most of my compositing gurus use Keylight just for the key, then Key Correct Pro for matte refinement.

FCP 6.06, OS 10.5.8 2x3GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon, Kona LHe, Dulce Duo-eSATA 8 Drive, 4TB Raid.

John Knapich
Creative Director/Partner
Assembypix.tv

Return to posts index

christina ricci
on Jan 6, 2011 at 3:23:09 pm

Hi,

The inside mask trick is the way to go, Foundry advised as well. However, I now have a grey background on the Final Key? How do I get rid of this?

Thank you for your help.

Christina

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2011 at 5:58:45 pm

Since I use Keylight in After Effects and not FCP -- the plugin works similarly in both, but not precisely the same -- here's my guess: you simply need to change a setting for the inside mask. It should be in there somewhere.

Right now you're seeing the fine job that Keylight does at spill suppression. Cool, huh?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

christina ricci
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:13:21 pm

I tried every setting to get rid of grey, pulling my hair out. In addition, FCP keeps crashing when I try and save the filters to favorites.

I would like to try and move to AE. What is workflow applying a mask here? It seems quite different than FCP with regards to mask workflow? Or can I dupe layers in AE and apply top layer with clean smooth edge and the layer below a cranked up version of keylight applied?

Thank you for your advice.

Christina

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 6, 2011 at 10:48:04 pm

[christina ricci] "I would like to try and move to AE. What is workflow applying a mask here? It seems quite different than FCP with regards to mask workflow? Or can I dupe layers in AE and apply top layer with clean smooth edge and the layer below a cranked up version of keylight applied? "

There are a couple of ways to skin this cat in AE.

Using Keylight's inner mask setting is probably easier in AE. In AE, you'd animate a mask path on the subject using keyframes, if the subject moves a lot. You then set the mask mode to None, and let keylight use the mask. All done on one layer.

You can also duplicate the layer, grainy blacks and all, then remove the Keylight effect from the lower layer. Use the upper, grainy-black layer as an Alpha Matte for the lower layer. If you need spill suppression, you can apply keylight to the lower layer, and mess with it until the green screen goes gray... and you already know how to do it!

Since you'd be going to all the trouble of keying in AE, I also recommend compositing the entire shot -- subject AND background -- right in AE. It adds almost nothing to the render time, and your shot's ready to go!

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

christina ricci
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:50:36 pm

Dave,

Greatly appreciate the steps! Thank you for taking the time.

Christina

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]