FORUMS: list search recent posts

Broadcast safe discrepency

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tucker Lucas
Broadcast safe discrepency
on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:59:27 pm

Hey there,

I posted this on the Broadcasting forum, and then realized it would be more of an FCP centric question.

I have a mystery I'm trying to solve.

I'm editing 16:9 Anamorphic footage in DV, and applying the broadcast safe filter as my last step (set to Conservative).

Before I master to tape, I export a full quality quicktime file at it's current settings of my timeline, then I bring back into FCP. I make two sequences: one that will maintain the anamorphic aspect ratio, and one that is 4:3. I drop the file in both (it becomes letterboxed in the 4:3), and then I apply the same broadcast safe filter to each.

Here's the issue: when I do this to the anamorphic version, everythings fine. I'm given the green okay symbol all across. When I add it to the version nestled into a 4:3 frame, it doesn't work as well. I still get yellow exclamation points from time to time. I want as far as to set the filter in the 4:3 to Extremely Conservative, and this helped a bit, but not in every part.

So any idea what's happening? It's the exact same file, just in two different sequence set ups. What would cause it to do this?

Tucker Lucas
Production Manager
Heartland Poker Tour
tucker@heartlandpokertour.com

Return to posts index

Richard Sanchez
Re: Broadcast safe discrepency
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:39:44 pm

I would guess because within the 16:9 sequence, the file is having no basic motion filters applied (in addition to the broadcast safe) but the 4:3 sequence is using basic motion to make the clip fit into the 4:3 raster.

Also, just for the sake of putting it out there, Final Cut's broadcast safe filter tends to be the subject of a bit of debate, and I've had numerous tapes fail QC due by relying on the broadcast safe filter (even set to Extremely Conservative). Of course, nothing beats a precise color correction job to bring your levels to legal levels, but if you need a fail safe at the end, I would recommend the Harris 860 legalizer or a similar hardware legalizer.

Richard Sanchez
North Hollywood, CA

"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution." - Bill Hicks

Return to posts index

Tucker Lucas
on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:58:06 pm

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll check that out.

Tucker Lucas
Production Manager
Heartland Poker Tour
tucker@heartlandpokertour.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:13:19 pm

It has been well documented over the years at this forum that broadcast safe often isn't safe after a render. A search of this forum will reveal all sorts of options. My personal favourite is a free legaliser filter from these people. it is part of a package but if you install but not buy, you still get the legaliser free.

http://www.thegradingsweet.com/w2/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]