FORUMS: list search recent posts

NTSC dvd no letterboxing

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Miki Shalom
NTSC dvd no letterboxing
on Jan 5, 2011 at 3:21:27 pm

Hello to all,
I was asked by a client to deliver a NTSC dvd with a video clip that will fill a specific screen, no letterboxing. I've got the screen specs (Dell, 30" (76cm) diagonal display with 2560x1600 resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio) and the player's (Sony upscaling DVD).
The video is quite flexible in terms of proportions and I can allow some cropping in order to fit it to the correct "canvas".
I've made tests with fcp/compressor/dvd studio pro but was unable to poroduce a dvd with no letterboxing, viewed on different computer screens (imac 24", LG 15").
Any advice will be appreciated
Thank you
Miki

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
Re: NTSC dvd no letterboxing
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:34:59 pm

What software are you using to create your DVD?

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Miki Shalom
on Jan 6, 2011 at 11:23:17 am

I used dvd studio pro. I have to say Alan's answer sound very reasonable, thanks Alan.
Any other ideas for a workaround with a dvd would be appreciated

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:31:45 pm

Look.... If you play a 16:10 video on a 4:3 tv, it's going to be letterboxes. No ifs, ands, or buts. That's the way it is.

The only option is is to do a center punch. That is to cut off the sides so that it fills the screen. Unless, you squeeze the video to fill the screen.

The problem here is that your client does not understand video and unwilling to accept the reality of video.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://web.mac.com/schazamproductions
schazamproductions@mac.com

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 6, 2011 at 7:58:21 pm

[Wayne Carey] "Look.... If you play a 16:10 video on a 4:3 tv, it's going to be letterboxes. No ifs, ands, or buts. That's the way it is.

The only option is is to do a center punch. That is to cut off the sides so that it fills the screen. Unless, you squeeze the video to fill the screen."

I think you misread his post. His client has a 16:10 screen, not a 4:3 screen. The client wants the DVD content to fill the 16:10 screen completely without letterboxing, but that's simply not possible. The closest that he could get would be to author a 16:9 anamorphic DVD, but there would still be very slight black bars above and below the image (although not nearly as bad as if the content were 4:3).

The only way to completely fill a 16:10 screen with no letterboxing would be to create content with a custom resolution at a 16:10 aspect ratio. Since the DVD spec only supports 4:3 and anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratios, 16:10 content would need to be delivered via another method, such as video file playback from a computer.

Return to posts index

Alan Okey
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:46:04 pm

[Miki Shalom] "I was asked by a client to deliver a NTSC dvd with a video clip that will fill a specific screen, no letterboxing. I've got the screen specs (Dell, 30" (76cm) diagonal display with 2560x1600 resolution and 16:10 aspect ratio) and the player's (Sony upscaling DVD). "

What the client is asking for is impossible. Anamorphic DVDs are 16:9, so there will always be letterboxing (albeit very slight) on a 16:10 screen. The best you can do is author a 16:9 anamorphic DVD.

If the client demands the content to exactly conform to a native 16:10 aspect ratio, it will need to be done by some means other than DVD, such as a custom resolution Quicktime file played back on a computer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]