FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Correction to match other cameras (1 angle was filmed with wrong White Balance)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Leach
Color Correction to match other cameras (1 angle was filmed with wrong White Balance)
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:51:47 pm

I have been using these forums for some time but this is my first post. I hope I'm not posting a duplicate question. I searched around and couldn't find someone with this same issue.

I filmed a Christmas production for a school about 2-3 weeks ago with 3 cameras. I set the color balance in all the cameras but one of them I selected the wrong preset. I have used 3 way color corrector but I feel like the colors are still not close enough. Is there a way process a clip to match colors or any plugin that can change the color balance easily? I have been filming for many years and I have never made this mistake. I caught it about 15 minutes into the 50 minute production.

Are there any guides, tips or advice that anyone can give me? When I switch angles its just too obvious to me that the colors are wrong.

I dont mind processing the video in another application if that helps. Its going to DVD anyway and all the source is 1080p 24p.

Incase this helps this is what I filmed on.
2x Canon Rebel T2i [one of this had the wrong setting]
1x Canon HV20

Thanks ahead!

Mark
Videographer / Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Color Correction to match other cameras (1 angle was filmed with wrong White Balance)
on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:22:57 am

This is a problem at all levels, so don't feel badly. There is no shortcut, you will have to learn to white balance using the 3-way CC filter. It may never be perfectly matched to the other cams, but you should be able to get close enough for comfort, as they say. Study Richard Harrington's Cow tutorials, they should get you where you need to be.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Leach
Re: Color Correction to match other cameras (1 angle was filmed with wrong White Balance)
on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:48:55 am

I was hoping that wouldn't be the response :/ . I have tried 3 color corrector but I guess that just means I need to get better at it.

Thanks anyways David.

Mark
Videographer / Editor

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:59:39 am

Color correction isn't easy Mark, but it's very rewarding when you get good at it.

You're very welcome...

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Phil Balsdon
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:03:13 am

Color Corrector 3 Way has a color match facility.

Basically you use the eyedropper in the color match box to select a color (eg a skin tone) on the good image. Then open the unbalanced image apply the Color Corrector and use the color selector (which will now be green) in the mids area to select a corresponding area of skin tone. This won't be perfect but will get you close. You can then use the color corrector normally for final fine adjustment.

Cinematographer, Steadicam Operator, Final Cut Pro Post Production.
http://www.steadi-onfilms.com.au/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]