FORUMS: list search recent posts

capture problems FCP 7 and MXO2 mini.Chroma keying.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Johannes Nyholm
capture problems FCP 7 and MXO2 mini.Chroma keying.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 10:41:11 pm

Hi,
When I try to capture HDMI in FCP(7.0) using MXO2 mini, with any of the more demanding capture settings, it halts and reports that "Dropped frames were detected during the last capture attempt". This goes for all 1920 uncompressed settings and all of the ProRes 422 1920 ones. Less demanding captures like 720P resolutions, seems to work pretty good.
It sounds like a slow hard drive issue, but maybe you can tell me. I am using MacBook Pro 2,8 GHz i7, 8GB RAM and SSD drive.

Mac OS 10.6.5
MXO2 mini, software version 1.9.2
Final Cut 7.0

If I need to upgrade to a faster external drive, do you have any recommendations?

Also, maybe you can suggest what settings I should use to get the best material for chroma keying. I am feeding a live HDMI signal from a DSLR, 1080P, 25 fps. What would be appropriate capture settings?

Thanks.
All the best,
Johannes

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: capture problems FCP 7 and MXO2 mini.Chroma keying.
on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:06:26 pm

For UNCOMPRESSED video, you need very very fast drives. Far faster than the Firewire 800 drives you are limited to with a MacBook Pro when you have the MXO2 connected. they will handle ProRes, BUT...the ProRes encoding is handled by the computer, not the box. And to encode to 1080i ProRes steadily you need at least a Quad-core mac...and the laptops are only dual core.

So you cannot capture 1080 video on a laptop. Not Uncompressed, not ProRes. The most I have been able to get is 5 min....but I average around 2 min. On the other hand, 720p ProRes, the laptops handle fine capturing to that.

This is a limitation that Matrox itself mentions:

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/support/mxo2/system/faqs/#faq4

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Johannes Nyholm
on Jan 4, 2011 at 11:37:53 pm

Hi Shane,
Thanks a lot. Sounds like a tough (or expensive) situation for me. But what is your secret trick to capture your 2 minutes chunks? I cannot even capture a single frame of uncompressed or 1080i ProRes.
Thanks,
Johannes

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 5, 2011 at 1:00:23 am

[Johannes Nyholm] "But what is your secret trick to capture your 2 minutes chunks? I cannot even capture a single frame of uncompressed or 1080i ProRes. "

You'll never be able to do Uncompressed with the laptop. The drives simply aren't fast enough. For ProRes, I just used a 1080i Easy Setup and ran with that. Worked fine...for 2-3 min. And I have an older MBP...3 years now? 2.4Ghz.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD...don't miss it.
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Johannes Nyholm
on Jan 5, 2011 at 8:39:39 am

Strange then that none of my HD ProRes settings works. However, now I tried the Uncompressed 8 bits 1080i. And that setting actually worked.

So, any ideas what would make the best source for green screen chroma keying? Any of the HD ProRes settings or the 8 bits Uncompressed? Not sure if it is a good idea to spend more time right now try to fix the ProRes capture.
Thanks.

Johannes

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]