FORUMS: list search recent posts

moving vhs to dvd (which product to buy)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared Smith
moving vhs to dvd (which product to buy)
on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:29:08 am

i have found the canopus advc110 w/ good reviews for about $225 and then pinnacle makes something for mac's for about $100 w/ poor reviews. basically, i have 3 vhs tapes that a client asked me to put on dvds for him. i thought about just going to best buy and buying a vhs to dvd recorder but i'd like to have something that allows me to edit the dead space and maybe give him a menu... so i'd like something to work with fcp 7 if possible... any suggestions other than the ones stated above?

Return to posts index

Michael Sacci
Re: moving vhs to dvd (which product to buy)
on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:51:52 am

Do you have a DV camera? if so you can normally use them to do the conversion.

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Jan 3, 2011 at 5:53:20 am

actually i don't any longer... sold it a while back...

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:53:36 am

Jared,

Buy a stand alone DVD recorder, record the VHS tapes, Use MPEG Streamclip to make a ProRes .mov file, import that into FCP, edit to your liking, export to Compressor and then on to DVD SP... bada bing! Adequate DVD recorders can be bought for around $100 these days.

HTH

Gary

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Zane Barker
on Jan 3, 2011 at 7:09:29 am

[Gary Milligan] "Buy a stand alone DVD recorder, record the VHS tapes, Use MPEG Streamclip to make a ProRes .mov file, import that into FCP, edit to your liking, export to Compressor and then on to DVD SP"

Ummm, NO.

Dont go to DVD then to the computer then back to DVD. Thats adding an extra layer of compression on footage that is already not the highest equality.

If you want to edit the footage, go directly to the computer, DONT add another level of unneeded comparison.

**Hindsight is always 1080p**

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:32:46 am

I agree with Zane,
If you want to get something decent for your client, try to put that picture in FC with the minimum possible compression.
At least DV. Prores would be ideal.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 3, 2011 at 12:51:51 pm

Go with the canopus ADVC! I've got one and it works awesome. Has other uses as well.

Tony Brittan
Owner - Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:30:55 pm

Are you going to do any more jobs in the near future that require this converter? If not, I would just go with the DVD Recorder.

We have one here and use it constantly for client dubs, review copies, window burns, etc.... If the Dazzle or Canopus box is not something you'll use a lot, I'm betting you'll get more use out of the DVD Recorder.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jan 3, 2011 at 2:37:20 pm

Agreed with Walter! I have both and each has served it's purpose well. Found a refurb Sony DVD recorder (that even includes a FireWire connection) for only $60 on Buy.com and it's awesome for quickie stuff.

Tony Brittan
Posted From iPhone

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 3, 2011 at 6:34:21 pm

Hey there, I have run into DVD Recorders that let you do a bit of editing - maybe they record to a buffer or drive first? I am doing the same thing for my last 8 remaining VHS tapes (bummer, too since I have a really nicely featured VCR I will never use again...), but I have the option of stopping the tape and removing a bad take on the DVD recorder - so I'm basically just removing the opening warnings, statements, etc and just getting the bulk of the tape. Its just like sitting down with 2-3 VCRs and making dubs like I did with TV shows as a kid.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

Jared Smith
on Jan 9, 2011 at 3:14:15 am

went to wal-mart, bought a vhs to dvd recorder... i have 4 tapes... 2 of them worked fine and the DVD is done but the other two are giving me fits. when i fast forward i can see the image but when i hit play and it resumes at normal speed it is all static (audio is good but there is no picture). any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Jonathan Ziegler
on Jan 9, 2011 at 4:30:33 pm

Sounds like a tracking issue to me. Also, could be the tape was recorded on EP or LP or some similar mode. Try switching modes and try adjusting the tacking. Barring that, try a different VCR and see if it plays that way.

Jonathan Ziegler
http://www.electrictiger.com/
520-360-8293

Return to posts index

john park
on Aug 10, 2011 at 4:41:08 pm

Hi,
thank you all for posting on this topic. I see a few of the responses advocate just buying a DVD recorder if one just has a few tapes to migrate over to DVD.

I have just a few Hi8mm tapes sitting in my basement that I need to migrate, and I have the old hi camcorder as well.

My newbie question is: Will pretty much any DVD recorder (from say BestBuy,BHphoto etc) work for this migration? Or do I actually have to look for any special feature?

Thanks!

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]