FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio interface suggestions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
rico b
Audio interface suggestions
on Dec 31, 2010 at 6:44:09 pm

I'm in search of a multiple I/O audio interface (with MIDI) that's compatible with audio apps AND Final Cut Pro.

I ran into problems with the Focusrite Saffire Pro14. It's a great sounding unit that works flawlessly with my audio rig (Logic/Reason/Live) but it doesnt work at all with Final Cut. The Focusrite FAQ chalks it up to an issue with FireWire and suggests using a USB device.

I wanted to post the question here before I begin a cycle of buying/returning.

What are you using that works?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: Audio interface suggestions
on Jan 1, 2011 at 1:11:43 am

I know it is tempting to run multiple software apps on one machine, but FCP is best served with video and audio I/O units that have software drivers specific to FCP. AJA, Blackmagic, Matrox and MOTU specifically make such I/O interfaces. They may not work with your audio equipment, but perhaps MOTU have interfaces with the greatest number of audio I/O options so I would start there.

Firewire in FCP's world is a digital video and audio interface and FCP is designed to interface with lots of cameras and decks that use this protocol so I am not at all surprised that an audio I/O that uses firewire would cause conflicts. Apart from anything else, Macs have limited firewire busses so if you have firewire hard drives as well in the mix, then expect conflict.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Audio interface suggestions
on Jan 1, 2011 at 3:25:22 pm

[rico b] "
I wanted to post the question here before I begin a cycle of buying/returning."

What Michael says about the conflict is most likely accurate in your situation. You're running into conflicts with the various drivers and the way FCP is set up.

One solution for you would be to have two boot discs in your system (assuming you're running a Mac Pro.) You simply install a second hard drive in your computer and only install all your audio software and drivers. So when you want to do your audio mixing, you simply re-start the machine on that hard drive and your system is all set up for mixing. Then re-start the machine again to the standard boot disc to go back to editing with FCP and everything else.

Many folks do this when they run FCP and Avid on the same computer. There are VERY often conflicts between Avid and FCP so the way around this is to simply have two boot discs, one set up for FCP and one for Avid. One computer, two completely different configurations.

If you have a large enough hard drive in your laptop or iMac, you could always partition it and do the same thing, but I much prefer having two physical drives.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]