FORUMS: list search recent posts

iMac i5 v.s i7?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wayne Marx
iMac i5 v.s i7?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:05:01 am

Hi,

Sorry if this has been posted before [couldn't find exact answers in the search].

The fact is, all thing being equal I'd purchase the iMac i7 because I know it's a superior machine, but here, in Deepest, Darkest Africa, an i7 is a BTO [Build To Order] machine and can take up to 8 weeks for delivery with a massive premium charge.

So the question is, in the real world... would the i7 be worth the wait and additional price? Or is the speed-bump a 'nice-to-have' but not a massive improvement over the i5?

I'm currently on a 2007 MacBook Pro, so I imagine I'll see a big jump no matter which machine I go for?

Thanks in advance,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
Re: iMac i5 v.s i7?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:00:41 am

Me again...

Just to clarify...

It appears as if the i5 I'd be getting is a Quad-Core 2.8Ghz,
whilst the i7 would be 2.93

Thanks again,

Wayne

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:51:52 am

The i7 is a faster clock speed, but has a few other features which are DEFINITELY useful for things like compression, such as hyper threading.
Check this guy out for a better explanation:

He's a little annoying but he does one of the best explanations I could find on the net. The i7 is well worth it, if it's in your budget. Upgrade the RAM and you easily have a "pro speed" machine.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Dec 31, 2010 at 11:12:11 am

Hey Tom,

Man, that guy is super-annoying.... but, yes, very informative [just had to dig my nails out of my chair every time he sang his songs].

Seems like the i7 is a no-brainer.

Thanks,

Wayne

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Jan 1, 2011 at 3:43:54 pm

I guess the real question is whether the i7 is worth an 8 week wait for you. Super annoying guy not withstanding, do you need a machine sooner than two months or are you good to for the next few months while you wait?

Both machines will do the job for you.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Thomas Morter-Laing
on Jan 1, 2011 at 3:49:22 pm

Both will do the job, but I made the upgrade from an i5 to an i7 and found a noticeable difference. Hyper threading also means for things like compressing trough compressor, you can use more virtual cores, which definitely helps. So my advice would be if you can afford to wait, definitely do so.

:D
Tom Morter-Laing
Freelance Editor
Certified Apple Product Proffessional, 2010
http://www.depictproductions.co.uk

Sony Z5, with Rode NTG2.
iMac 27" intel i7 2.93GHz, 12GB RAM, ATI HD5750 [1GB GDDR5], 2TB Int. SATA with 2TB External HDD; (FW800), with Elgato Turbo H264HD.

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jan 3, 2011 at 9:42:57 am

Thanks again, y'all.

Wayne

Return to posts index

Wayne Marx
on Jan 5, 2011 at 10:37:43 am

Just an update for those of you who were kind enough to chime in on this... I did a bit of research and it turns out that if I brought it in from the States from B&H, then I'd only have to pay the shipping [over $800] + 14% VAT and it could be here in a week.
All for a lot cheaper [and obviously faster] than I could get it here in S. Africa.

So, thanks again for the advice.

Wayne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]