FORUMS: list search recent posts

final cut pro / rebel t2i / 1080p question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Justin Blaney
final cut pro / rebel t2i / 1080p question
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:31:12 am

I'm filming on a rebel t2i at 1080p and bringing it into Final Cut Pro 7 on a mac pro 10.6 in two formats, the original format and through compressor pro res 422. My sequence settings do not allow for 1080p, only 1080i. I've tried setting the upper/lower/none to none, but I just want to make sure that's how I get this to use the full 1080p. It seems like there should just be a 1080p setting. I've spent many hours searching this forum and others and reading books at Barnes and Noble, but haven't found an answer. I'm sure it's simple, but it's escaping me. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: final cut pro / rebel t2i / 1080p question
on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:34:49 pm

Not sure why you would bring in both formats - do not edit with the raw cam files. Converting is the way to go.

You would use easy setup:

1080i60

then set the fields to none

OR

108030p easy setup

and fields to none

Then change the compressor to pro-res if that is what your files are.

Or, drag a imported movie file onto a new comp and let FCP change the comp to match. But if you shot progressive then change the fields setting to none.

Back up cam card files always.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Justin Blaney
on Dec 31, 2010 at 6:24:12 pm

Thanks! I wasn't bring it in both formats at the same time, I was origianlly using the T2i original format, then I learned that it would be better to switch to pro res 422 but even after I tried that it was still having the 1080i problem.

A couple more questions, if you don't mind.

When it says 1080i, but the field dominance is set to none is that really progressive?
Why are you recommending 1080i60 or 1080p30? If I shoot in 1080p30, isn't that the only one I should use?
Do you recommend using compressor to change to prores 422 from the native format? Or using FCP (I've heard that you can convert in FCP with log and transfer, but I haven't used that feature)
Since you're recommending DVCPRO for the easy setup, should I just use that for the converted format instead of prores 422?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:24:43 pm

Your original post did not indicate the "30" so I was assuming between those 2 1080P's

When it says 1080i, but the field dominance is set to none is that really progressive?

Yes.

T2i import plugin for FCP:
http://thebuibrothers.com/blog/2010/03/how-to-canon-t2i-with-eos-movie-plug...

DVCPRO for the easy setup, should I just use that for the converted format instead of prores 422?

Not sure. Someone else?

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:27:49 pm

Use Log and Transfer. Google to get the T2i hack.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Justin Blaney
on Jan 1, 2011 at 7:56:28 pm

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Justin Blaney