FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP audio render limitation?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joesph Armstrong
FCP audio render limitation?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:16:59 am

Hello friends,
I am a amateur free-lance videographer and I am having a problem with rendering audio in FCP 5. When I have less than 1o tracks of audio (5 tracks of stereo) in my sequence FCP is able to play back the audio live with now problem. However once I hit twelve the red line appears and I have to render everything. I find this odd as it only happens when I break the 10 thresh hold. Is this some sort of limitation of FCP 5 or something else?

-Sequence settings
Video: 29.97 fps, 12808x720, HDV 720p30
Audio: 2 Outputs, 48.Khz, 32-bit Floating Point

-Video Files Audio: 1 Stereo, 48KHz, 16-bit Floating Point

-Music Audio: 1 Stereo, 48KHz, 32-bit Floating Point

I did notice that the video files I have in the sequence are a different Floating Point from the WAV audio. However they are also different from the sequence and yet still play with needing rendering.
Any help that you all could give would be greatly appreciated. Its really slowing me down having to worry about the number of audio tracks.

Let me know if I need to supply any more info,

~Joe

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP audio render limitation?
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:36:21 am

[Joesph Armstrong] "once I hit twelve the red line appears and I have to render everything. I find this odd as it only happens when I break the 10 thresh hold. Is this some sort of limitation of FCP 5 or something else?"

Rendering becomes necessary when the system can no longer sustain realtime video playback without dropping frames. The realtime capabilities of your system are related to the combined performance of processors and hard drive throughput. The number of video and audio tracks you're playing simultaneously, and filters and transitions affect realtime performance negatively.

Your processors in your current machine are never going to get faster, but adding a beefy 8-drive RAID would give you much more realtime performance.

You are also somewhat limited by running version 5 of FCP which was the first version to have the realtime engine, which has been improved upon in later versions of the sofware .

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:44:39 am

In the Fcp prefs you can set the number of audio tracks to playback in rt. Increase that number and it should work.

I'm not next to a machine right now so I can't direct you to the exact place, but its in the prefs.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 31, 2010 at 10:34:58 am

And finally only use 16 or 24 bit files in FCP. 32 bit is not OK in the timeline. The timeline itself is 32 bit float but files must be no more than 24 bit.

Also only use 48khz files and PCM, not mp3, aac or data compressed files.

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Dec 31, 2010 at 2:37:20 pm

Set in user prefs.

But thru-put and processor are going to be big factors.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Joesph Armstrong
on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:50:00 pm

Thank you all for your input! Mr. Tompkins response solved my problem but everyone's suggestions were very helpful.

I hope to eventually buy an intel MacBook pro or iMac for editing as well as one of the newer studio packages. Its one step at a time I suppose...

~JoeA

Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz with 3 GB ram running Leopard

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]