FORUMS: list search recent posts

Strobing during screening of SD footage in HD project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Knight
Strobing during screening of SD footage in HD project
on Dec 24, 2010 at 9:24:29 pm

Hello,

I am having an issue with a documentary in post. There are three formats of video:

SD: shot on PD150 (DVCAM)
HD: shot on HVX (P2)
HDCAM: HDCAM Tape

The majority of the footage is P2, so the sequence is set at:

1280x1080 HD 16:9
Field Dominance: Upper (Odd)
Edit Timebase: 29.97
QT Video Settings: Compressor DVCPRO HD 1080i60

The strobe effect that I am getting when screening the cut is only with the SD footage that was formatted to fit the screen by adjusting the clip's motion and distort in Final Cut Pro.

Are there any suggestions or thoughts of why this effect is happening and what can I do to the source media (if anything) to make this work?

Thank you for your efforts

Ryan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Strobing during screening of SD footage in HD project
on Dec 27, 2010 at 1:36:03 am

FCP does a lousy job of converting footage so most folks don't use it for that. It just has lousy scaling controls. You can get better controls in Compressor to make the conversion.

We have the AJA Kona boards here for this very reason. They do full broadcast quality up and down conversions so we can convert any format to whatever we are editing in, in real time In your case I would capture the SD material directly to DVCPro HD 1080 so it matches your timeline.

The bulk of our work is documentaries and news programming so we are constantly converting all sorts of formats for editing. If we receive the files digitally we'll even digitize from one machine to another. Can't recommend the Kona boards enough for this.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]