FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 1440x1080 export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Monica Siclovan
FCP 1440x1080 export
on Dec 24, 2010 at 12:00:27 am

Hi,

I shot my video on a Panasonic HDC-SD1 AVCHD and edited it in Final Cut Pro 6.0.6 at its native size (1440x1080 AR 16:9). When I export it as an uncompressed self-contained QuickTime .MOV file, it goes to 1920x1080 even if I leave it to "current settings"... beats me why, but that seems not to be the "real issue": the same size video looks fine in QuickTime 7 but in QT 10 it's horribly distorted vertically. It doesn't seem to be an issue of what version of QT I use when exporting but more like what version of QT I use when viewing after export; it also seems to affect the way the video looks when uploaded on youtube, since uploading it from my PowerBook G4 (old, I know!) with QT 7 makes it look OK, but when uploading from iMac silver with QT 10 makes it look distorted.
Since I figured it's an issue with the QuickTime version and I can still post my video on youtube as long as I do it from my laptop running the QT 7 version, I would still like to know how I could export my 1440x1080 video without these issues on a machine running QT 10.
I hope this make sens because it took a long time to figure out it was a QuickTime issue to start with... and if it's not, then thank you anyway for any ideas... they're all welcome!

Monica

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 1440x1080 export
on Dec 24, 2010 at 3:09:47 am

[Monica Siclovan] "When I export it as an uncompressed self-contained QuickTime .MOV file, it goes to 1920x1080 even if I leave it to "current settings"... beats me why"

1440x1080 is simply a squeezed version of the 1920x1080 HD format. When unsqueezed in FCP it displays full raster 1920x1080 as it should, and depending upon your sequence settings it will export either 1440x1080 or 1920x1080. Both are right.

QT 10 had, and may still continue to have some issues. So, you should install QT 7 on that machine, which is available right on the OSX system install disc, in a directory which I believe is titled extras.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Monica Siclovan
on Dec 26, 2010 at 11:37:00 pm

Thanks, David. So there's basically no fix for having my video display correctly in QT 10!? That's a bit disappointing.

Monica

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 27, 2010 at 2:03:54 am

[Monica Siclovan] "So there's basically no fix for having my video display correctly in QT 10!? "

QT 10 is still a work in progress. Though some have reported updates that have fixed some of its flaws, it remains unreliable for other things, as you've found. QT 7.x is still the faithful working version for us editors.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Monica Siclovan
on Dec 31, 2010 at 3:34:15 am

Thanks again, David. I appreciate your input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]