FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best consumer camera for FCP 6 ???

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Mathews
Best consumer camera for FCP 6 ???
on Dec 23, 2010 at 11:59:49 pm

(december 2010)

Hi everyone, i need your help and precious advices!!!

i want to buy a consumer video camera to do some short films fiction and documentary... for internet and television aswell.

i have tried the SONY HDR-XR500V but had a really hard time with the AVCHD files format... (long process with log and transfert, taking up too much space on hard drive + having a hard time transferring the footage and keeping the HD quality... without lines)

is there any other camera out there that would be more "user friendly" and quicker to work with FCP 6?

what i need in the camera is;
- good HD quality
- be able to use a wireless microphone
- be able to put a wide angle on it
- if the focus can be put to manual = it's a plus... if not it's ok
- if i can play with the shutter speed = it's a plus... if not it's ok
- hard drive preferably or with tapes can be fine too
- easy to transfert and edit in final cut pro 6.0.6

i have a Mac book pro
OS 10.4.11
processor 2.16 intel core duo
memory 2 go 667 Mhz

and also, is it better to use a camera with a HARD DRIVE or with TAPES?

Thanks so much for helping me... the people at the store don't seem to know a lot about FCP, and those who do, don't know about cameras! so no one is really helpful there ;-) Hope to have more luck here! :)

Thanking you in advance!
Mike

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Best consumer camera for FCP 6 ???
on Dec 24, 2010 at 5:13:52 am

You will want to edit as Apple ProRes.

There are a number of ways to make the conversion but Toast should do it.

You do use a different media drive than your system drive?

If you want more speed make it a raid. You can get a 2 TB raid for $200-$300.

Almost all of the consumer level cams are AVHD or HDV. Both have their share of issues.

You could try this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=kipro+mini&N=0&InitialSearch=yes

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mike Mathews
on Dec 24, 2010 at 7:37:05 pm

Thanks Craig... i didn't know about this compact field recorder... that can be a great option!
which consumer camera you think would be good and compatible with it?
thanks

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Dec 25, 2010 at 6:21:47 am

If you are willing to invest in the Ki Pro mini, why not try it out on the camera you already own? I checked, and it has HDMI out so you should be good to go. You can call AJA and ask them about compatibility and any other questions. They are very helpful and open to end-users. The camcorder is now just a camera. It provides the imaging chips and the optics. The ki pro becomes the (re)corder part. Be sure to order with lots of cards and a card reader for your Mac and whatever mounting plate and accessories you need. I like my Canon HV40s at the $650 price point. I don't think any "consumer" camera is going to blow yours out of the water. I think if you light correctly, have a good stabilizing device (tripod), and record to a high quality format like ProRes, you'll be pleased. The Ki Pro also records very good quality audio and acceptable sound is a lot harder to achieve than acceptable visuals. Instead of buying a new cam, you might want to invest in a good mixer and mikes.
This gives you a very good overview:
http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/index.cfm?articleId=325...

OSX 10.5.8; MacBookPro4,1 Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz
; Camcorders: Sony Z7U, Canon HV30/40, Sony vx2000/PD170; FCP certified; write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]