FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need wisdom on organizing project with media dating back 10 years.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hayley Downs
Need wisdom on organizing project with media dating back 10 years.
on Dec 21, 2010 at 9:45:26 pm

Hi there. I'm working in Final Cut 6.06.

The project I'm working on consists of footage dating back more than 10 years. A consistent naming convention came later so the earliest footage is named in many different ways but now I need it to be consistent. I need to clean up the project in preparation for the edit and I have a couple of questions:

1. For the oldest tapes, the video and audio tracks are split out in the media. I'm not sure why this happened. Is there a way to fix so that the media audio and video are merged into one file?

2. I need to rename the clips in about 35 tapes to conform with the rest of the project. But there are sequences already built with the existing names. How can I get the sequences to update to match the new names?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Need wisdom on organizing project with media dating back 10 years.
on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:07:30 pm

[Hayley Downs] "The project I'm working on consists of footage dating back more than 10 years."

Tell us about the nature of this footage -- stuff from a Media 100 system, perhaps? Do you have the proper codec available to you?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Hayley Downs
on Dec 21, 2010 at 10:24:20 pm

Hi David:

The tapes are all mini dv. 29.97/DV/DVCPro NTSC. It's a documentary that is part "diary film". So many of the tapes were shot for home use or for different film projects. They were all originally brought into a series of different Final Cut projects. (never Media 100)

They have now all been brought in to one big project but they have different naming conventions. I can change the names of the files to match the clip and I have figured out how to update the sequences that include old clip names.

The problem is that the first 25 tapes appear to be "merged" clips. The video (quicktime) and the audio (Aiff) are separate files on the hard drive. Can I merge them so that they are one file or am I stuck re-batching the first 25 tapes?

Return to posts index

Rahul Duggal
on Dec 22, 2010 at 2:41:56 am

I think if you physically need to get the Audio & Video clips into a single file there is no way out but to re-render. On another note (if the source files & their composition are not important to the final outcome of the project) you could skip the re-rendering part and be happy by putting the audio & video in sync & just linking them instead. (FCP will treat them as a single 'Linked' Audio/Video file).

Return to posts index

Hayley Downs
on Dec 22, 2010 at 3:16:17 pm

Hi. Thanks for responding. When you say "re-render" do you mean re-batch digitized? As for the clips, they are already linked. It's just that they show up as two sep. files on the hard drive. For instance, one would be sampleclip-v and the other sampleclip-a
I can't change the names of both clips to be consistent with the rest of the project and relink when I change their names.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]