FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP and Red 4.5K

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pablo Espada
FCP and Red 4.5K
on Dec 20, 2010 at 6:39:56 pm

I'm attempting to edit red 4.5k files with Final Cut Pro without any luck. I've tried using the log and transfer to Pro Res 4444 and the conversion appears to work but the Aja Kona 3 card wont allow for proper preview. When I try and transfer using Red Rushes, the files come out with a heavy yellow tone. Since the spot I am working on is a graphic job, including mattes, split screens and other effects I need to work with a file that will be high enough quality for a finishing output and that is compatible with color and after effects.. I think that I would use ProRes 4444 or HQ, but Im not sure that this is my best option.

If somebody could give me some insight on the best way to convert Red 4.5k files into a format that works well with final cut I would greatly appreciate it. (Ideally I would like to work with a 1920x1080 pro res file that maintains the 4.5k aspect ratio).

I'm using a MacPro version 10.6.5, Aja Kona 3 and Final Cut version 7.0.3

thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
Re: FCP and Red 4.5K
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:26:52 pm

In the past I have used RED Rushes to convert to 2048 x 1080 ProRes4444 and ProRes HQ. Both displayed via my Kona3 and preserved correct aspect. Don't know why there would be a yellow tint but maybe there is a debayer setting that has been set wrong or their is a color temp setting that was wrong.

It should be possible to convert to a 1920 x 1080 signal which will letterbox the original aspect. I found slight gamma shifts going between Color and FCP using ProRes4444. My last RED job was ProRes HQ and the round trip to Color was perfect.

Return to posts index

Pablo Espada
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:37:04 pm

I've tried several different settings for both color space and Gamma space in Red Rushes and all keep coming up with a yellow tint. Could it be a camera setting during filming? Although the proxies look correct so I dont think this is the problem. I'm going to give Red Rushes a few more tries and Ill let you know.

Thanks for the info!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Dec 20, 2010 at 9:56:05 pm

[Pablo Espada] "Could it be a camera setting during filming?"

Possible but it didn't have the problem with Log & Transfer. Strange one.

Return to posts index

Steve MacMillan
on Dec 21, 2010 at 5:08:31 am

The trick is you should install v30.1 or v30.2 of the RED for FCS3 plug-in available at RED.com/Support.

This will allow you to edit 4.5k M proxies and reconnect to a 2240x960 version of the R3D in Color.

A better workflow is to load your clips into REDcineX 351 and render out selects with a best light into ProRes. This will give you all of the latest thinking in Color Science. You have the option of rendering into a 16x9 letterbox which the Kona will like. And when you have locked your edit you can online thru XML back to REDcineX and render out 2k ProRes4444.

Log and Transfer with R3D files in FCP always screws up the color a bit and the debayer is not as good as REDcineX.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]